A FAMILY has thanked firefighters after they rescued a child from an upstairs bathroom.

Firefighters from Peterlee Fire Station attended an incident in Cleveland Place in Peterlee this afternoon. 

Youngster Charlie Stephens was stuck in an upstairs bathroom after the door seized up due to a damaged latch. 

The firefighters were able to rescue Charlie by climbing into an upstairs window and then prizing the door open from the other side.

Charlie’s dad Richard Stephens said: “I’m really thankful.

“Charlie was in for less than 25 minutes, they got him out straight away.”

The Northern Echo:

A spokesperson for County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service said: "Whites have just met little Charlie who accidentally locked himself in the bathroom. The crew got to work quickly to rescue Charlie using a ladder to climb through the bathroom window and open the door.

"Charlie was totally unphased by it all and was more than happy to get a picture with the crew."