A COUPLE have admitted throwing ammonia into a man’s face, causing damage to his eyesight.

Jordan Craggs and Ellie-rose Midgeley were both warned a custodial outcome is “highly likely” having carried out the attack during a confrontation outside a fast food restaurant late at night, in Consett town centre.

Midgeley was said to have initially thrown liquid from a plastic energy drink bottle at the victim, before Craggs took the container and further dowsed him.

They were to have stood trial at Durham Crown Court on charges arising from the incident, in the early hours of Saturday June 9, last year,.

But, at the scheduled start of the trial, a revised indictment was put to the pair.

Craggs, 24, admitted causing grievous bodily with intent, a charge denied by his 20-year-old co-accused.

But she admitted the slightly lesser offence of inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Both also admitted possessing an offensive weapon, a plastic bottle containing ammonia, in public, on Front Street, Consett.

Jonathan Walker, prosecuting, said those pleas were “acceptable” to the Crown.

“These matters have been subject to discussion over the last few days.

“The Crown would seek the draughting of a further, up-dated victim personal statement prior to the sentencing hearing, to discover what state the victim’s eyes are now in.”

Judge Jonathan Carroll said the defendants’ bases of pleas need to be submitted within the next fortnight to allow the prosecution to possibly counter them, due to contentions that the attack may have been in response to a punch being thrown.

The judge agreed he would also want updated medical evidence as to the extent of the injuries suffered by the victim, who was said to have still been suffering with blurred vision for some time after the incident.

Judge Carroll agreed to extend the couple’s bail, but only on the condition that they do not try to approach or contact the victim and that they remain on overnight home curfew.

Bailing Craggs, of Finsmere Place, Blakelaw, Newcastle, and Midgeley, of Tyne Street, Chopwell, near Gateshead, to return for sentence on September 4, he told them: “The nature of this incident is such that custody remains highly likely for both of you.”