FIREFIGHTERS were called out to an emergency with a difference– to save a pet dog after it became entangled in its own lead.

Just after 10am yesterday morning, the fire and rescue based at Durham Station was asked to assist medics from Dunelm Veterinary Group, in Gilesgate, Durham City.

The surgery was contacted after a dog, named Milo, had a bizarre accident whilst out walking.

The pet pooch had somehow managed to entrap his hind leg with the lead clasp to his collar and needed releasing.

A spokesperson for County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service said: “The vets quickly rushed Milo into surgery and released his leg from his collar but needed our help to remove the clasp.

“Our crew used a Holmatro pedal cutter to safely remove the metal clasp from Milo’s leg.

“Huge well done to everyone involved and we wish Milo a speedy recovery.”

It is understood that the dog escaped the incident relatively unscathed.