A CORONER has ordered an independent review after the death of a teenager.

An inquest into the death of Quinn Evie Milburn, 17, was due to conclude yesterday, however, assistant coroner Tanyka Rawden said she was not satisfied that she could make a conclusion after listening to all of the witness evidence.

The inquest has been adjourned to allow an independent expert to review the timeline of events on the evening that Miss Milburn died.

The teenager was found in Shildon, on the evening of December 9 last year.

Alan Potts, a clinical operations manager at North East Ambulance Service (NEAS), gave evidence at the inquest and said he carried out an investigation "to establish if there were any missed opportunities".

Mr Potts confirmed that a second paramedic on scene did not see a monitor attached to Miss Milburn and that a memory card taken from the monitor confirmed that it had not been switched on.

He said there was no evidence that the first paramedic on scene had given any treatment, but that it was deemed that treatment would not have been able to save Miss Milburn.

He told the inquest: “I don’t feel that the first attendee has followed guidelines, but he has given a rationale for that.”

The first paramedic on scene, referred to only as GW, has 26 years of experience as a paramedic and has dealt with similar circumstances involving children on previous occasions.

The inquest heard that GW’s essential annual training was up to date, although there were errors in the documents that had been filled in following Miss Milburn’s death.

An internal investigation was carried out by NEAS, however, this was not relayed to Miss Milburn’s family until last week.

A statement read out during the inquest on behalf of Miss Milburn’s mother said the family were unhappy with NEAS for the delay in making them aware of the investigation.

It added: “While we accept that nothing would bring Quinn back, knowing that she was treated with dignity and respect would have made that easier.”

The family also asked about GW’s shift, after hearing that he was due to finish at 7.30pm, soon after arriving at the scene.

Mr Potts added: “Under no circumstances do I think that it is acceptable that it has taken four months [to inform the family about the investigation], it has been far too long and I apologise for that.

“I do not want to cause any further distress to the family, I can’t do anything about Quinn and I’m really sorry about that, but if I can do something to give resolution then I am more than happy to do that.”

The inquest will resume on Thursday, August 1 at Crook Coroner's Court.