SENTENCE on a banned driver who knocked down a teenager crossing a road has been adjourned until the extent of the boy’s current injuries are known.

Gareth Shaun Ross was to have been sentenced at Durham Crown Court for dangerous driving and other offences arising from the collision in Newton Aycliffe, on the afternoon of June 23 last year.

The banned driver was at the wheel of a Vauxhall Zafira, belonging to the mother of his girlfriend, which was taken without permission.

Phillip Morley, prosecuting, told the court the Zafira was seen travelling at speed behind a Fiat swerving into the wrong carriageway to avoid a bollard at a designated pedestrian crossing point.

Ross then accelerated and overtook the Fiat, forcing a motorist travelling in the opposite direction to brake suddenly to avoid a collision.

Mr Morley said the Zafira swerved back to the nearside, mounting the pavement and striking pedestrian Kian Murphy, who was attempting to cross the road.

The 14-year-old boy was thrown into the air and landed on the road, having suffered head and back injuries.

He was treated at the scene by paramedics, before being taken to James Cook University Hospital, in Middlesbrough, where he remained being treated overnight.

Ross stopped momentarily before driving away.

When arrested and interviewed he made partial admissions, although he claimed a car pulled out infront of him causing him to have to swerve into the opposite carriageway.

His explanation was not accepted by the prosecution and Ross abandoned that version at a trial of issue.

A victim statement read to the court said Kian has had intermittent headaches as well as suffering nightmares.

That statement was given in November and after hearing there were “ongoing problems”, Judge Christopher Prince said he would like updated medical and/or psychological reports.

Ross, 32, of Bates Close, Newton Aycliffe, who admitted dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, without insurance, aggravated vehicle taking and failing to stop after an accident, was remanded back to custody.

The case was adjourned for ‘mention’ on Friday May 10, with a view to sentencing on May 17.