AN ABUSIVE man told a partner "no-one else will have you" while punching her repeatedly after they had sex.

Daniel Hewitt, 27, of St David's Close, Tudhoe, admitted a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm when he appeared before magistrates in Newton Aycliffe this week.

He was handed a suspended prison sentence but no restraining order was issued after the court heard his victim did not want one.

On the morning of the court case she handed in a letter in support of Hewitt.

Clare Irving, prosecuting, said following a night out, the victim had consensual sex with Hewitt.

But he began biting her lip and saying no-one else would have sex with her.

When she began to cry he got up, turned around, ran towards her and began punching her.

He then went downstairs while his victim tried to tend to her injuries. The police were also called.

She suffered a black eye and bruising from the 'sustained' attack, Ms Irving said. Hewitt told her not to tell the police what happened but she made a statement and went to Darlington Memorial Hospital for treatment.

When arrested, Hewitt told police they had been having 'rough sex', which had caused the victim's injuries.

He initially pleaded not guilty but later changed his plea to guilty.

Probation officers said Hewitt now admitted full responsibility for his actions and said he had been drinking too much, which was something he had to address.

He had a previous conviction for an attack on the same victim and they recommended he attended a programme to address his domestic abuse.

In mitigation, Khashif Khan said the victim had been making attempts to contact Hewitt but there was no suggestion here had been contact.

He added: "It was a sustained attack but very short-lived. He remained in the house afterwards but there was no further aggression."

There was nothing to suggest premeditation, he said.

"He has pleaded guilty today and accepts he has done wrong.

"He and his partner hope to reconcile."

Magistrates described it as an 'appalling' attack, aggravated by the fact there were children present, and said Hewitt had shown some remorse, but it was limited, and they said they had seen 'very little' mitigation.

They sentenced him to 15 weeks in prison, suspended for 24 months.

They also ordered him to work with probation, take part in rehabilitation activity requirement days, including attending a Building Better Relationships course.

He was ordered to pay £200 compensation, £200 costs and a £115 victim surcharge.