AN attempted conciliatory drink with his ex-partner ended with a man behind bars, following, “an evening of madness”, a court heard.

After the meeting in a Consett pub ended in acrimony, Bernard Clews attacked his former partner, repeatedly punching her, threatened both her and her mother at knifepoint and assaulted an innocent teenage bystander at the town bus station.

Durham Crown Court heard it ended in the early hours the following morning when he was talked out and arrested after a stand-off with police at his home, during which he threatened to pour boiling water containing sugar over the officers, advising them to bring in the armed response unit, as he was, “game as f***”.

The defendant, 34, of Ridley Terrace, Leadgate, near Consett, admitted eight charges at a recent hearing.

He was jailed for 50 months for two assaults, one causing actual bodily harm, two counts of affray and making threats to kill, plus possession of a bladed article and offensive weapon in public.

Clews, whose 21 previous convictions include offences of violence and of a domestic nature, was in a relationship with his most recent partner for three years until a breakdown in August.

Victoria Lamballe, prosecuting, told the court they agreed to go for a drink together in Consett on November 3, but it soon became argumentative, so she left when Clews went to the toilet.

Miss Lamballe said Clews ran after her and became “really aggressive” at the bus station, turning on an innocent 14-year-old waiting at a stand, following him onto as bus and punching him several times, having chased off another passer-by after producing a knuckleduster.

He later was awaiting his ex-partner when she arrived home with her mother, threatening both at knifepoint and punching his former flame to the floor, causing two blackened and bloodshot eyes, plus other bruising and swelling.

In the later stand-off, early on November 4, it took several hours for trained officers to talk him out of his home.

Lewis Kerr, mitigating, said the defendant accepts his behaviour was “appalling” during the, “evening of madness”, but while in custody he has availed himself with help from agencies to address his problem behaviour.

Jailing him, Recorder Tahir Khan also made Clews subject of an unlimited restraining order forbidding contact with his former partner or her mother.