A HOMELESS man has been sent back to prison after breaching a restraining order seven times.

Nathan Lee Dodsworth Grant was banned from going within half-a-mile of the street where his parents live in Shotton Colliery, East Durham, following a conviction for an arson attack at their next door neighbours' home in 2017.

The 28-year-old was released from prison following the latest breach of the order on January 4 but was found within the area of his parents address by officers on January 6 and January 8.

He appeared at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates' Court on Thursday and pleaded guilty to two charges of breaching a restraining order.

A separate charge of possessing an offensive weapon in a public place on January 6 was withdrawn by the prosecution after they decided the rolling pin he was found with in his sock was not going to be used as a weapon.

John Garside, prosecuting, told the court how officers had been called to Grant's parents address following a domestic argument on January 6 and found him a third-of-a-mile away, making him in breach of his order.

Police officers then visited the address again two days later to make routine enquiries in the street following an unrelated incident and found Grant in the house.

The officers were only made aware of Grant's restraining order when they made it back to the station and later returned to the address and arrested him.

Grant, who appeared from the cells, was represented by Smith and Granham solicitors.

In his defence, the court heard how he was a "troubled man" with mental health problems and personality disorders which made him unable to solve problems.

His solicitor said the restraining order has effectively made his client homeless and had been told the council could not help him although his mother did want to have him back at home.

Following his release from prison, the court heard how Grant had tried to take his own life and had his stomach pumped in hospital before being released back onto the streets.

Probation officer Leanne Johnson, said Grant had referred himself to Housing Solutions but so far no suitable housing could be found although he was now on the council's emergency list.

She said: "It's a really frustrating situation to be in as a professional."

Magistrate David Carr sentenced Grant to a total of 20 weeks in prison.

This was made up of eight weeks for the first breach and 12 weeks for the second. He was also ordered to pay a £115 victim surcharge.