A POLICEMAN who was killed on duty has been remembered by his former colleagues, family and friends.

North Yorkshire Police's Andrew Bramma, 32, died on January 5, 2013 after he lost control of the police van he was driving.

The married and father-of-two policeman was on his way to what he believed to be a two-car crash unfolding in Masham, North Yorkshire.

The policeman was negotiating a left-hand bend, near West Tanfield, at speed when the van left the road at almost 70mph.

The van then careered across the road as PC Bramma attempted to regain control but as he crashed, a blow to the head caused his death.

In a tribute marking six years since PC Bramma's death, Paul Lander, editor of Police Professional magazine, embarked on 100 Olympic distance triathlons in October, last year.

Mr Lander chose North Yorkshire as the location of his 67th effort.

On Saturday, January 5, he joined PC Bramma's former colleagues, friends and family outside Thirsk's leisure centre.

Mr Lander then completed a 1,500 metre swim on his own, before he joined a cycling team, who covered the 24-mile distance between Thirsk and the crash site in West Tanfield, near Ripon.

He then went back to Thirsk before he undertook a 10k run around the town.

He said: "It is my honour to come to North Yorkshire and complete triathlon number 67 in tribute to the sacrifice made by your officers and staff every day to keep us safe.

"My thoughts are with PC Bramma's family, friends and colleagues on this sad anniversary."

Mr Lander has vowed to visit every police force across the country who has suffered the loss of an officer on duty.

North Yorkshire Police chief constable Lisa Winward said: "We're honoured to support Paul in his efforts in aid of the Police Memorial Trust.

"January 5 will always be a difficult day for the force as we remember PC Bramma's untimely death.

"Doing something positive that will also help lots of other police families who have lost someone is a poignant and fitting way to remember him. Our thoughts remain with the family, colleagues and friends of PC Bramma at this time."

PC Bramma transferred to the force after working at Greater Manchester Police.

After the crash, assistant chief constable Steve Heywood of GMP said: "Andrew was a well-liked and respected officer during his time at GMP and we would like to offer our most sincere condolences to Andrew’s family, friends and colleagues."