AN UPMARKET hotel has been evacuated this afternoon after a chemical spill.

Toxic gas was suspected to have been produced after the accidental spill at the Feversham Arms in Helmsley, North Yorkshire, on Wednesday leading to the evacuation of the hotel and some neighbouring properties.

Cordons have also been put in place in the vicinity.

Fire crews, paramedics and North Yorkshire Police have been at the scene since just after 1pm.

The spillage is said to be contained, with no wider risk to the public.

A North Yorkshire Fire Brigade tweet said: "Fire crews along with colleagues from the ambulance service and North Yorkshire Police are in attendance at an incident at a hotel in Helmsley.

"Appliances from Kirkbymoorside, Pickering, Thirsk and Malton were sent to the scene along with a number of officers "On their arrival crews found that the incident involves an accidental chemical spill which has produced a gas.

"A number of fire crews remain at the scene. They are monitoring the chemical levels in the room where the chemicals are."