A DRUNK man smashed three town centre shop windows in a 'rampage', causing £1,200 of damage, following a row with his girlfriend, a court heard.

Ryan Hall, of Fairfax Road, Middleton St George, admitted the offence but said he had 'no memory' of it after a drinking session involving vodka and jagerbombs.

The 22-year-old admitted three separate charges of criminal damage when he appeared before magistrates in Newton Aycliffe yesterday.

Hall smashed a pane of double glazing belonging to Master's Photographers, causing £431 of damage, as well as the Mountain Warehouse display window on High Row, which cost £252 to replace.

He then damaged a safety glass door of Pizza Hut, costing £540 in the spree, in the early hours of the morning on Tuesday, January 30.

Keith Laidlaw, prosecuting, said: "While he was walking through Darlington in the company of other males, having been to Harveys nightclub, he has approached a number of premises.

"He has proceeded to punch or kick the windows.

"CCTV showed a male resembling Mr Hall body slamming into various display signs.

"He had very limited memory of the incident due to the influence of alcohol.

"They had been to a variety of clubs, and drank jagerbombs and vodka."

A probation report said Hall had 'little recollection' of the events but did recall arguing with his then girlfriend earlier in the evening and then went out with his friends.

He took the car, intending to have one drink and drive home, but his friends persuaded him to stay out and drink more.

He hadn't gone out until 10pm, the offences took place at 3am, and he had spent £130 on drinks in that time.

Hall, who lives with his mother, was currently doing sporadic work as a mechanic but not regular hours and was thinking about going on benefits and changing his job, the court heard.

The offence was out of character, magistrates were told, and it was difficult to explain why he had committed it other than he had gone through a bad patch in his relationship. But he had 'moved on' from this.

Magistrates, describing the events as 'a bit of a rampage', sentenced him to a 12-month community order.

He was also ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.

He was ordered to pay £1,200 compensation to the three retailers and will also have to pay £85 court costs, and an £85 victim surcharge.