A MAN threatening to stab himself only ended up harming his partner when he intervened to try to disarm him, a court heard.

Reece Luckett struggled with the other man, who was left with cuts to his arm and face, in the drunken confrontation on their return home from a friend’s house party.

Durham Crown Court was told the injured man chose not to go to hospital, but was treated at the scene by paramedics for three cuts to his right arm, two cuts to his lip, a bump to his forehead and scratches to his body.

It marked the end of what the court was told had been a volatile relationship, in which police had previously been called to their home, and for which Luckett had two convictions for battery, receiving community orders for both as a result.

Paul Abrahams, prosecuting, said the latest incident, on July 15, put him in breach of the second of those orders.

Mr Abrahams said having returned to their home, in East View, Murton, from the friend’s house, a row developed over drink which resulted in Luckett picking up a knife and threatening to kill himself.

His partner tried to prevent him going through with it, and, in the struggle,the defendant accepts the injuries were inflicted.

Reading extracts from the victim’s impact statement, Mr Abrahams said the incident was seen as the final straw by him, as he felt “hurt and betrayed” by Luckett.

He described the defendant as being “manipulative” and controlling and the episode had left him feeling depressed.

Luckett , 26, previously denied wounding with intent and making threats to kill.

A trial was to take place in January, but the case came back to court when a third charge, of unlawful wounding, was put to the defendant.

He admitted the charge, which Mr Abrahams said was acceptable to the Crown, and therefore formal not guilty verdicts were recorded on the first two counts.

Jane Waugh, mitigating, said Luckett’s actions that night were, “a cry for help that went wrong”, resulting in him being custody since the incident.

But she said he has worked with agencies within prison to try to ultimately curb his alcohol misuse, which was behind the events that night

Jailing him for 14 months, Judge Simon Hickey said “thankfully” the injuries inflicted were not as significant as they could have been, in the circumstances.

A five-year restraining order was made, preventing Luckett from contacting the victim.