DOZENS of places that were on the frontline of the suffragette struggle, including a North-East Post Office, are being officially recognised today.

English Heritage has released a map showing where suffragette violent attacks, including bombs and arson, took place 100 years ago as women fought to win the vote.

Here in the North-East, only Newcastle Post Office is listed, where women threw stones and broke windows in their protest.

But there were many other more dramatic violent suffragette outrages in the region, like the woman who tried to burn down Stockton racecourse.

Lizzie Crow

ON November 8, 1913, a small fire at Stockton racecourse did £20 of damage. “Female incendiaries” were suspected because “undeniably women’s footprints upon the soft turf” were found nearby.

The fire coincided with a visit to Middlesbrough by Chancellor of the Exchequer David Lloyd George, and a piece of paper found near the flames had written on it: “This is to show that militancy is going on. It is all through Lloyd George. He is a trickster and a liar. A Militant.”

A month later, Lizzie Crow was arrested in Newcastle in connection with the fire.

Lizzie, from Jarrow, was well known to the authorities. She had been one of the North-East six arrested with Janet Boyd over the 1910 mass window-breaking, and her finest hour was on August 28, 1912, when Winston Churchill, the First Lord of the Admiralty, visited Newcastle by sea.

Unfortunately, thick fog marooned his yacht at the mouth of the Tyne, so Lizzie hired a boat and sailed down river. She sailed round and round the stuck yacht shouting abuse at the stranded Churchill through a megaphone.

For the Stockton fire, Lizzie was remanded in Durham jail where she was went on hunger strike. She was released after a week under the “Cat and Mouse Act”.

The authorities didn’t want the hunger-strikers to die in jail, so they were released when they fell ill and the police were supposed to watch them until they’d recovered when they could be re-arrested to complete their sentences.

Like many suffragettes, Lizzie Crow disappeared from the police’s view.