SOUTH Shields, from the North Eastern League, and Northern Leaguers Durham City were the only two non-league clubs from the North-East left in the FA Cup competition in 1957-58, which had now reached the Second Round stage.

South Shields entertained York City from the Third Division North, while Durham City hosted Tranmere Rovers, also from the Third Division North.

South Shields 1 York City 3

FA Cup Round 2, Saturday, December 7, 1957

THE last time that these two great soccer clubs met was in the 1929-30 season when both were in the Football League Third Division North. It was York City's first season in the Football League, while it would prove to be South Shields' last. The game at Bootham Crescent on November 23rd 1929 ended 2-2 while at Horsley Hill, South Shields, on March 29, 1930, the Mariners won 4-1 in front of a disappointing crowd of 1,500 which was indicative of the troubles of the club in a looming financial crisis which prompted a move, and change of name, to Gateshead.

The 2nd Round FA Cup-tie on November 7, 1957, was a typical cup-tie with a high tempo and end to end action which thrilled the huge crowd of 19,020. Two former York City players were in the Shields side, diminutive winger George Ivey, known as the North East's Stanley Matthews, and the mercurial 'hot shot' Alan Monkhouse who had also played for Millwall and Newcastle United. Ernie Phillips, the York City full back and captain was a former South Shields and Manchester City player.

All the goals in the game came in the first half, and at a time when York City had to play with ten men, after their keeper Granger collapsed and Brown had to take his place in goal. Norman Wilkinson, still York City's record goalscorer of all time with 143 goals, hit two goals and Arthur Bottom the other. Monkhouse from the penalty spot replied for Shields. Granger returned in goal for the second half and although he had a tough time he conceded little.

Bob Wray, the South Shields FC historian recalls: "Sam Bartram, the former Charlton Athletic goalkeeper, was the York manager and an uncle to my wife. Sam was from South Shields and had played for Boldon Villa. His family had a greengrocers shop at the back of Wenlock Road in Simonside, adjacent to the Green Lane Bridge which is now a public house, formerly known as The Iron Horse now known as The Bridge. York's solid defence gave few opportunities to the Shields' forwards while the York forwards were too fast and good for the Shield's defence."

Durham City 0 Tranmere Rovers 3

FA Cup Round 2 Saturday, December 7, 1957

ONE of the quickest goals ever scored in the FA Cup 2nd Round shook Durham City in this Second Round tie at Ferens Park. With the watch showing only 25 seconds Tranmere's player-manager Peter Farrell swung the ball upfield where inside left Crossan missed the initial centre but had a second shot at goal which was parried by the Durham keeper, and in nipped Eglington, Tranmere's Eire international, to crash the ball home. Durham City player Raymond Ayre, now 84 years of age, recalled, "That was definitly not we wanted, an early goal against us, but we came back and got at them,"

Ray was right because the Echo reported that for a spell Durham had Tranmere on the back foot, with centre forward Ken Bowron showing the form that had won City so many games in the season. Again in the second half, Durham's attacking play deserved an equalising goal, but they were hit by a late double whammy. After an all-out onslaught on the Tranmere goal the ball was lifted to Dodd, all on his own, and he made it 0-2 to the visitors in the 86th minute. In the last minute Williams hit a third for Tranmere.

n Special thanks to Bob Wray for his help with this article.