EVERY town, every village, has its own summer show in which residents present their produce and their crafts to the wider public. Every town, except Darlington.

But, of course, Darlington had its own agricultural show once, too. It started in 1783 at the Horse and Foal Society Show and in 1860, "sporting dogs" were added. It toured around the grounds of the town's great mansions until 1955, the first show after the Second World War, it relocated to South Park, which became its permanent home for nearly 40 years.

In 1987, it was decided that the dogs had grown too large, and they needed their own, two-day show. This was the birth of the Darlington Dog Show, "the Crufts of the North". However, without the dogs, the agricultural show ran into financial difficulties, especially as the sprawling park venue was very difficult to police. In 1992, the show lost £12,000, yet had spent £8,000 on security and still had two marquees trashed.

The following year, there was no show. In 1994, it was revived at Croft racetrack, and then in 1995 at Eastbourne School after which it petered out.

Of course, the dog show still goes from strength to strength, although since 2005, "the Darlington" has met outside the town – initially at Newby Hall, near Ripon, and now at Ripon Racecourse.

If today's pictures bring back any memories or thoughts, or if you have any information to add, please email chris.lloyd@nne.co.uk