Bishop Auckland manager Colin Myers admitted that side was lucky to be still in the Vase after they came from behind to win 3-2 at Brandon on Saturday.

Bishops were nothing like the team that beat West Auckland in the league in midweek, and they were two goals down before they managed to get back into the game and win 3-2.

Manager Colin Myers was relieved with victory on his return to one of his old playing clubs, and said; “It was a terrible performance but it’s all about the result in the Vase. I thought Brandon were outstanding on the day, and deserved to get something. For us, it was a big contrast to the other night against West Auckland.

Loading article content

Brandon went two goals up in the first 24 minutes through Jason White and Vinny Gash, but Bishops got back into the game with a Priestley Griffiths penalty after Thomas McAloon was fouled.

Stuart Thompson levelled for Bishops on the hour with a shot on the turn, then McAloon headed the winner from a Ben Trotter cross with two minutes left.

Bishops are now at Bedlington in the next round.

Tow Law won their first Vase game in six years when they beat Crook Town 3-2 in their local derby at Ironworks Road.

They went 2-0 up in the first nine minutes with goals by Adam Nicholls and Lewis Teasdale, but Crook got back into the game with goals by Chris Emms and Dale Elgie soon after half time. However, Dean Thexton won it for Lawyers ten minutes from the end.

Tow Law manager Steve Murray said; “It was our first win in the Vase for many years. I was pleased for the fans, there was a good turn out and great support. The unbeaten start to the season continues.”

Crook manager Wilf Constantine said; “It was a hard-fought game against the form side in the division. We started really slowly in bad conditions and conceded two early goals. After this we dominated the game and gave Tow Law a shock in the second half and we pulled back to 2-2 and looked like we could win it, but the weather deteriorated and both teams struggled with the conditions. Not the best result but a pleasing team performance.”

Chester-le-Street manager Colin Wake was furious with the referee following their 3-2 home defeat by Silsden.

Ten man Chester led 2-1 on 74 minutes with goals by Alex Walker and Lee Mole, but Silsden hit back to win, and Wake was far from pleased.

“The players were outstanding, but the officials cost us the game,” he said.” Chris Stephenson was sent off in the first half to the amazement of everyone in the ground for an altercation after a tackle and when we had just gone 2-1 up the referee gave them a penalty that never was. He was out of his depth from start to finish, and but for the officials I am certain we would have won the game.”

Northallerton beat Alnwick 4-2 at Ainderby Road, with Aaron Ramsbottom scoring a hat trick in the first 27 minutes, with Liam Hudson adding the other in a rampant first half. Stephen Young scored both for Alnwick.

Northallerton manager Darren Trotter said; “We had an excellent first half. We were very clinical and perhaps didn’t come out with the same intensity in the second half. However, we managed the game well and had enough left in us to win.”

Esh Winning gave first division Penrith a scare before going down 2-0 at Waterhouses, and manager Tony Boakes was heartened by the performance. “We played really well and missed some crucial chances,” he said. “Penrith only had three chances all game but took two of them and we didn’t. We got caught with the last kick of the game for their second. We were disappointed after a great effort from us but good luck to them in the next round.”

Darlington RA lost the clash of the RAs against Harrogate at Brinkburn Road, losing 6-4 after seemingly looking in control twice.

They were 4-2 up on 46 minutes with goals by Damon Reaks (2) and Phil Caley (2), but then they fell apart. Darlington RA manager Peter Mulcaster said; “We were disappointing once more, we twice had a two goal lead.”

The draw for the second qualifying round, to be played on 23rd September, is: Ryhope CW v Northallerton, Team Northumbria v Durham City, Stockton Town v Consett, Hebburn v Newcastle Benfield, Billingham Synthonia v Whitley Bay, Willington v Harrogate RA, Tow Law v Penrith, Carlisle City v Thornaby, Marske v Seaham Red Star, Whickham v Blyth, West Auckland v Silsden, Padiham or Thackley v Ashington, Dunston UTS v Washington, Bedlington v Bishop Auckland, Jarrow Roofing v Knaresborough.