Newton Aycliffe broke their duck for the season when they beat Penrith 3-0 at Moore Lane in the EBAC Northern League on Saturday.

Aycliffe have thrown points away this season by conceding leads, but they didn’t make any mistakes after an impressive first half in which they were 3-0 up inside 15 minutes.

Newton Aycliffe manager Deano Browne said; “We asked for a reaction off the lads and they gave us that in the first 30 minutes. Good quality possession helped us score two good goals, and we saw the game out with a professional second half.”

Loading article content

Aycliffe got off to a great start on 7 minutes when Craig Hutchinson’s corner was turned into his own net by a Penrith defender, and five minutes later Mattie Pennal scored from a Hutchinson pass. It was 3-0 on the quarter hour mark when Pennal got another from a Hutchinson cross, and after that, Aycliffe stayed in comfortable control.

Bishop Auckland are still without a win after they were beaten 4-2 at home by Guisborough, and are second bottom of the table, with only Billingham Synthonia below them.

They got off to a bad start, going two goals down inside the first eleven minutes because of some poor defending. Steve Roberts and Jack Connor took advantage for Guisborough, before Bishops got going when Andy Johnson scored from a loose ball.

But Bishops slipped behind in the second half to further goals by Roberts and Connor, so a late goal by Ben Trotter was a mere consolation.

Manager Colin Myers said; “At the moment it’s quite simple. We can’t defend and we can’t score!”

To make matters worse for Bishops, Michael Hoganson was carried off in the first half.

Shildon are well in touch with the leading group thanks to a good 2-1 away win at Seaham Red Star.

After a goalless first half, Shildon took the lead with a curling free kick over the defensive wall and into the top corner by David Reynard, and then he fired a second. Seaham pulled a goal back with a Craig Lynch penalty, and they were denied another by a good save by Nick Liversedge.

Shildon manager Danny Moore said; “We played well and deserved the win overall against a decent outfit. That’s our fourth away win in five games, so we’re pleased.”

Shildon play West Auckland at Dean Street this morning, when West manager Gary Forrest will be returning to his old club.

West were knocked off the top of the table because of a late goal by Team Northumbria to clinch a point in a 1-1 draw.

West got off to a great start when the Team North keeper turned an Adam Mitchell cross into his own net, and they missed chances to score a second.

West’s new keeper, Keith Finch, pulled off a good save to keep West ahead, but then the home side had Anthony Bell dismissed for two yellows. Nevertheless, they looked as if they would hold on until a deflected shot by Lewis Shorrock earned a point for Team North.

“We didn’t play that well, but the lads dug in when we went down to ten men and didn’t deserve not to win the game. Complete fluke of an equaliser at the end,” said Forrest.

Morpeth have taken over top spot because of their 4-0 away win at Jarrow Roofing, and they still have a 100 per cent record after five games.

In the second division, Tow Law had a good 2-1 home win over previously unbeaten Billingham Town to keep them joint top of the table. Dean Thexton, with his seventh of the season, and Kai Hewitson scored for the Lawyers in the first half, with Liam Travers pulling a goal back for Billingham near the end.

Tow Law manager Steve Murray said; “It was a great win, we’re unbeaten in league and pre-season. It’s been a good start.”

Northallerton are level with Lawyers after they beat Easington 3-1 at Ainderby Road. Aaron Ramsbottom put Northallerton into the lead from a Shaun Hudson cross, but Jayven Redman levelled with a 25 yarder that went in off the bar.

Northallerton went back in front midway through the second half when an Easington defender put through his own goal, then Hudson made it 3-1 off a rebound.

Northallerton manager Darren Trotter said; “We weren’t at our best, so to come through with a win is a nice feeling. The players are now finding different ways to win which is a massive positive.”

Crook Town had a good 2-1 home win over Ryton and Crawcrook and they are now up to sixth in the table. Chris Emms, with his second goal in as many games, put them in front with a penalty on 6 minutes, then Kyle Morris scored the second ten minutes into the second half. Callum Turnbull scored for Ryton from the spot eight minutes from the end.

Crook manager Wilf Constantine said; “We’re very happy with the result especially with having 12 players missing because of injuries and holidays. To come away with three points and a good performance speaks volumes for our squad.”

Darlington RA lost for the second time this season against Esh Winning, this time by 1-0 at Waterhouses, Gavin Brown scoring for Esh midway through the second half. The RA’s Mark Sims was red carded.

Darlington RA manager Peter Mulcaster said; “If the score had been 4-0 to the RA at half time Esh couldn’t have complained but if we miss chances like we did, then get a man sent off, then we have to change some things.”

Esh Winning manager Tony Boakes said; “It was a hard fought win. The RA played well, but we scored at a crucial time, our goal coming from a well worked effort off a corner.”

Durham and Willington drew 2-2 in the groundsharing derby at Hall Lane.

Willington led twice through Jason Brazauskas and Connor Winter, but they were pegged back by Bradley Hird and Kevin Malloy.

Willington manager Rob Lee said; “It was a fair result. Both teams worked hard. We did the early pressing, and Durham finished the game strongly.”

Chester-le-Street were beaten 4-1 at home by Whickham. Lee Mole put Chester into the lead, but Kallum Broadhead levelled before half time, and in the second half Kyle Wharton, Joe Mole and Broadhead scored further goals.

Chester-le-Street manager Colin Wake said; “It was a very disappointing performance again with four individual errors handing Whickham four goals, but in truth we were second best for the majority of the game and couldn’t cope with Whickham’s energy and drive to pick up second balls. We were well beaten.”

Brandon were beaten 1-0 at Jarrow, who score the winner near the end. Brandon, who hit the post twice, have now dropped to second bottom.