For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Saints victory caps off a good week for Magpies
4:23pm Sunday 24th February 2013 in Newcastle United News
Final Score: Newcastle United 4 Southampton 2
Alan Pardew got the win he craved as Newcastle fought back to beat former club Southampton and complete a good week.
The Magpies, who booked their place in the last 16 of the Europa League in Ukraine on Thursday evening, added three priceless Barclays Premier League points to their haul to ease themselves six clear of the relegation zone.
For Pardew, who was sacked by the Saints in August 2010, the win - his side's third in four league games - served up a measure of revenge for November's 2-0 defeat on the South Coast, but more importantly, allowed him to start looking upwards once again rather than anxiously over his shoulder.
They fell behind to Morgan Schneiderlin's third-minute strike, but Moussa Sissoko's third goal for the club and a superb Papiss Cisse volley gave them the advantage at the break.
Rickie Lambert, a player who was given his Saints chance by Pardew, levelled five minutes into the second half, but Yohan Cabaye's 67th-minute penalty and a Jos Hooiveld own goal 11 minutes from time ensured that the points stayed on Tyneside.
More Newcastle Utd News
- Could Shola be leaving Newcastle?
- Pardew focused on another season with Magpies
- End of an era at St James' as Harper bids farewell
- Debuchy has no regrets about Magpies move
- Newcastle rubbish Rooney internet rumours
- Pardew to spell out the need to keep Coloccini when he meets with Ashley
- Cabaye admits Newcastle need to learn lessons from relegation fight
- Pardew relieved after surviving 'toughest relegation fight'
- Match Report: Queens Park Rangers 1 Newcastle United 2
- Newcastle breathe sigh of relief after crucial win at QPR