JUST when it seemed Sod's Law was continuing to bedevil Durham, Chris Rushworth rode majestically to the rescue yesterday.

After batting first in tough conditions under the no-toss option in their first two home games, they lost the toss against Glamorgan and toiled all day under a hot sun.

But Rushworth's three-wicket burst with the second new ball gave him figures of five for 40 as the visitors wilted from 182 for three to close the first day on 221 for seven.

Loading article content

Durham were again defied by Australia-born Nick Selman, who scored the match-winning century against them at Swansea last month and ground out a painstaking 103 yesterday.

But the rewards came in the last hour after Durham stuck rigidly to their disciplines all day. Rushworth set the tone with a superb opening spell and Academy boy Matty Potts also impressed, earning the other two wickets, while Ryan Pringle has never commanded such respect.

Accustomed to no more than a few overs on a first day at Emirates Riverside, the off-spinner twirled through 19 overs and conceded only 23 runs.

For the second successive home match there was a minute's silence for London victims at 11am, then in the baking heat a drinks break was needed at High Noon.

Yet Durham still hustled through an above average 33 overs in the first session as the combination of their accuracy and Glamorgan's obduracy kept leather-chasing to a minimum.

The visitors lost only one wicket in each of the first two sessions as they ground along to 147 from 64 overs with Selman on 80.

He had two strokes of luck immediately after the break, almost playing on against Potts then toe-ending an attempted pull off Paul Coughlin just out of Rushworth's reach at mid-off.

Following his promising debut at Canterbury, Potts was given another chance and fully deserved the prized scalp of Australian left-hander Colin Ingram.

Potts was preferred to James Weighell, who was named in the squad, while Graham Onions' expected comeback in the second team at Richmond did not materialise.

Selman lost opening partner Jacques Rudolph in the seventh over when Rushworth, who beat the left-hander several times, trimmed his off bail.

Andrew Salter cut and pulled Barry McCarthy for two fours but was otherwise restrained and departed for 25 when he pushed forward and edged Rushworth to wicketkeeper Stuart Poynter to end a stand of 66 in 34 overs.

Ingram also made a cautious start and had made only four when he top-edged over Poynter in trying to hook a bouncer from the lively Potts. But the Australian was looking well set when Potts moved one away to have him caught behind for 33.

When Rushworth took the new ball his fourth delivery swung in to take out Aneurin Donald's off stump.

Selman edged Coughlin for three to reach 99 then inside-edged Rushworth just out of Poynter's reach for his 13th four. It had taken him 249 balls to reach his century but three balls later he pushed forward and fell lbw.

Another ball which nipped back brought a surprisingly hasty lbw verdict considering how high it hit the aggrieved batsman, David Lloyd.

Then Potts took the day's final wicket when Pringle held a good low catch at second slip to get rid of debutant wicketkeeper Tom Cullen, leaving Durham well satisfied with their day's work.

Michael Richardson captained Durham seconds to a four-wicket victory in their one-day game against Essex at Richmond. Another player who has been injured, Usman Arshad, led the attack and took three wickets before his unbeaten 47 helped century-maker Adam Hickey in a match-winning partnership. The teams begin a three-day match today.