MO DIAME insists he will not make a U-turn on his decision to retire from international football – despite growing calls for him back home to do so.

Diame’s opener at Selhurst Park on Sunday was a further indication of the improvement in form on an individual basis with the Magpies.

The 30-year-old is playing well for Newcastle and has been one of the team’s better performers since the turn of the year.

Loading article content

He is now being urged to come out of retirement for his country and try to force his way back in the Senegal squad for this summer’s World Cup. Diame, though, is happy with last year’s decision.

Diame, with a smile, said: "They know already that I took a lot of time to think about this decision. I had a lot of meetings and a lot of telephone calls with my chairman in Senegal and the manager. I made my decision already.

"I think the team is doing well. They did well to qualify. I wish them all the best. I'm going to follow them and hope they go far.”

The African midfielder’s stance is unlikely to change between now and the end of the season and he is focused on keeping Newcastle up.

If he can help them achieve that then Rafael Benitez could make a fresh attempt to sign Danish striker Nicolai Jorgensen in the summer.

He remained with Feyenoord after a couple of offers were rejected last month but has hinted he would still like a crack at the English top-flight.

“It was more of a matter for my agent and the club, you hear a lot, try to focus, but you’re also a bit confused,” Jorgensen told NOS.

“As long as I am here, I give everything, I am happy here and I am proud to play for Feyenoord, and when the day comes, it is apparently the right time.

“It’s a dream for every footballer to play in the Premier League, if I keep working hard, there will be a club, I can also compete in another league, I think I’m ready for a next step, but now I’m at Feyenoord.”