STEVE GIBSON is determined not to rush into a quick decision on the identity of Middlesbrough’s next head coach, while he would like to have clarified the situation within the next fortnight.

The Boro chairman is making progress on the managerial front and Steve Agnew will lead the club into the final Premier League game at Liverpool.

Ryan Giggs has been earmarked as the bookmakers’ favourite for the job, although it is understood Gibson has not spoken to the Welshman, who would also prefer to wait for a top-flight post.

Loading article content

The players in the Middlesbrough dressing room support Agnew’s claims, but Gibson is considering alternatives in the hope it leads to a second promotion in three years.

The Middlesbrough chief has a shortlist in mind and is believed to have spoken to a number of people.

Gibson wants to make consider all options, but hopes to be in a position where he can move quickly to finalise the situation after their single season back in the Premier League is over.

There has been no specific deadline for any appointment, but Gibson would like to have something in place within two weeks; ideally, though, things will run smoother than that and Aitor Karanka’s permanent successor will be confirmed by the end of next week.

Gibson he wants someone at the Riverside Stadium capable of making Middlesbrough “smash up” the Championship next year.

Former Middlesbrough captain Nigel Pearson, who last week suggested he would like the job, Huddersfield’s David Wagner (who could take the Terriers up to the Premier League), Leeds’ Garry Monk and ex-Newcastle boss Alan Pardew are among the contenders.

Gibson has not made his shortlist public, although he did admit after last weekend’s home defeat to Southampton that he wants to “change all aspects of the club” and that those will “affect people who are not currently at the club”.

Boro are an attractive proposition for out-of-work managers, given the support Gibson is renowned for giving those he works with. His comments last week appear to suggest he is willing to back the manager over the summer financially.

Boro are set to lose players after Sunday’s game; and leading scorer Alvaro Negredo looks certain to return to Valencia after his season-long loan.

Negredo’s departure will mean Rudy Gestede and Patrick Bamford are Middlesbrough’s only recognised first team strikers, while Jordan Rhodes will not be returning.

Rhodes’ loan to Sheffield Wednesday is set to become permanent in a deal potentially worth £10m, even though a chunk of that was thought to hinge on the Owls securing promotion to the Premier League.

The 27-year-old infuriated Owls' supporters on Wednesday for refusing to take a spot-kick in the penalty shoot-out defeat to his former club Huddersfield in the battle for a place in the Wembley final.

Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal said: "(Rhodes) did not want to (take a penalty). He said that he was not confident to take the penalty so that is why. The worst that a coach can do is force the player to take a penalty when he is not confident.”

Boro's Harry Chapman and Dael Fry, meanwhile, are set to start their FIFA Under-20 World Cup campaign this weekend, as part of Paul Simpson’s squad in South Korea.

England face Argentina tomorrow and Guinea on May 23 before facing the Koreans three days later.

The pair have had respective loan spells with Sheffield United and Rotherham this season,