Sunderland Under-21s 2 Newcastle United Under-21s 0

SUNDERLAND'S Tyne-Wear success story this season continued at the Stadium of Light when Kevin Ball's Under-21s made it two wins in three days over Newcastle United.

After a slow first half, Sunderland fully deserved their victory in the Under-21s Premier League which was secured by a second half penalty from Jordan Laidler and a lovely late finish from Martin Smith.

Loading article content

Laidler, the North Shields-born 18-year-old, who has spent part of the season on loan at Chester, could also have added a second.

But Sunderland's youngsters did enough to warrant the points to follow on from Gus Poyet's first team who sealed their second win of the campaign over the Magpies on Saturday.

Not even the involvement of Paul Dummett and Massadio Haidara, who were both involved in the match-day squad at St James' Park on Saturday, could prevent this defeat.

Alan Pardew resisted an opportunity to give Luuk De Jong, after an uninspiring Premier League debut, some extra minutes to build up his sharpness following his move from Borussia Monchengladbach. There was no sign of any of Poyet's new-boys either. With Ignacio Scocco, Oscar Ustari and Santiago Vergini all allowed the night off.

Goalkeeper Jordan Pickford was the only player on show in a red and white shirt to have been on the Sunderland bench this season.

Pickford was the first of the shot-stoppers to be tested and that was not until the 25th minute. He dived down to his left to comfortably hold a distance drive from Michael Richardson.

The first occasion Sunderland seriously threatened in the first half could have earned a penalty. Referee Andy Miller pointed for a goal-kick when a combination of Jak Alnwick and Remie Streete appeared to bring down Laidler in the box after a lovely pass from George Honeyman.

Sunderland created more after the restart. The first opening arrived just before the hour. Honeyman's inviting cross was heading for Ross Holland at the back post when Laidler got a touch to take it away from him and to safety.

But Sunderland got the breakthrough in the 58th minute when Miller did award a penalty. Streete was deemed to have made his clumsy challenge on Connor Oliver inside the box and Laidler applied the finish.

Laidler should have had a second when he fired wide after going clean through, while substitute Smith also forced a good save from Alnwick in the closing stages.

But centre-midfielder Smith did gets his rewards in stoppage-time when he poked in a finish beyond Alnwick after a lovely through pass from Lynden Gooch.

Sunderland (4-4-1-1): Pickford; Cartwright (Smith 75), Harrison, McNamee, Ferguson; Mitchell, Oliver (Beadling 78), Laing, Holland (83); Honeyman; Laidler. Subs: Dixon, (gk), Lawson. Newcastle (4-2-3-1): Alnwick; Sterry (Kemen 58), Streete, Dummett, Haidara; Olley, Satka; Quinn (Roberts 78), Richardson, Gilliead; Armstrong. Subs: Logan, J Mitchell (gk), Booth.