Final Score: Leicester City 2 Middlesbrough 0

MIDDLESBROUGH’S unbeaten run ended with a 2-0 defeat at Championship leaders Leicester City.

Jamie Vardy gave the Foxes a 52nd minute lead despite appeals from Boro that the ball had gone out of play in the run up, but Ritchie De Laet made it two in the 73rd minute after Shay Given had saved David Nugent’s penalty moments before.

Loading article content

Minutes before kick-off a horrendous storm descended on the King Power and it was Boro who enjoyed a lightning start when Lukas Jutkiewicz almost gave them a third minute lead.

After dispatching Muzzy Carayol down the left, the striker continued his run forward and met the winger’s cross, but his shot went wide.

It was a promising start for the visitors, who were aiming to extend their unbeaten run to seven games, but they almost paid for missing the opening chance when Paul Konchesky’s deep cross almost found Liam Moore at the back post.

The right-back collided with the back post as he slid in to connect with the ball and after receiving treatment Leicester were forced into making an early change with Marcin Wasilewski replacing the injured Moore.

The Foxes’ last home defeat came back in November, but Boro were causing problems for Nigel Pearson’s men.

Albert Adomah advanced down the right and sent an inviting cross into the area, but the sliding Ledesma couldn’t get on the end of it.

At the other end, Jamie Vardy anticipated Daniel Ayala’s missed clearance, but his audacious attempt at chipping Given didn’t fool the Boro keeper.

Boro started the second half similarly to the first with a chance falling to Jutkiewicz, but the striker could only direct his header into Schmeichel’s hands from Jozsef Varga’s cross.

However, in the 52nd minute Boro went behind. David Nugent stole the ball as watched the ball out for a goal kick and fed Vardy, who finished from eight yards, but the visitors felt the goal shouldn’t have stood after appealing the ball had already gone out of play.

The goal took the wind out of Boro’s sails and on 72 minutes Rhys Williams conceded a penalty after a needless foul on Vardy. David Nugent stepped up to take the spot-kick, but Given saved low to his right.

It was a let off for Boro, but two minutes later they wrecked their keeper’s good work when De Laet headed in Matty James’ free-kick unmarked.