Final Score: Newcastle 1 Cardiff City 2

NEWCASTLE UNITED crashed out of the FA Cup after Cardiff City came from behind to win 2-1 at St James’ Park.

Papiss Cisse had given Alan Pardew’s side a second half lead, but substitutes Craig Noone and Fraizer Campbell scored twice in seven minutes to win it on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s first match in charge.

Loading article content

Pardew made seven changes to his side with Rob Elliot, Massadio Haidara, Steven Taylor, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Vurnon Anita, Hatem Ben Arfa and Papiss Cisse all coming in.

The Magpies boss had given Yohan Cabaye the day off and his side struggled to get going in the opening stages with Cardiff taking control.

Mark Hudson headed in Peter Whittingham’s corner in the ninth minute, but referee Anthony Taylor blew for a push immediately and St James’ Park breathed a sigh of relief.

The visitors were enjoying the bulk of possession and looking more dangerous in the final third even though they were limited to long range attempts.

Kevin McNaughton picked up a loose ball 30 yards out and thankfully for the Magpies, the defender’s effort landed just over the crossbar.

Kim Bo-Yeung also tried his luck from range to no avail, but Cardiff were the only side in the game until Anita finally tested David Marshall with a tame effort from the edge of the area in the 17th minute.

The Magpies still looked sluggish when a Yanga-Mbiwa headed clearance fell to Don Cowie inside the area but the Cardiff midfielder blazed his effort high into the Gallowgate.

Pardew’s calls for his side to quicken up their play were met by a Ben Arfa long range shot that went wide, but moments later the Frenchman produced a moment of brilliant that should have put Newcastle ahead.

The midfielder cut inside and from the right and then made a sharp turn on the edge of the area before sending a beautiful curling effort crashing off the far post.

Yanga-Mbiwa picked up the loose ball on the left and drilled the ball across goal, but there wasn’t a Newcastle shirt there to put it in.

Ben Arfa had been the Magpies’ biggest threat in the first half and he went close again minutes after the restart with a fierce shot that Marshall did well to tip on to the crossbar.

The deadlock was broken in the 62nd minute and having enjoyed the majority of possession after the break, it wasn’t a surprise to see Newcastle take the lead.

Yoan Gouffran sent Moussa Sissoko through and despite blocking the midfielder’s shot a combination of Turner and Hudson failed to clear the ball allowing Cisse to nick in and prod home from close range for his third goal of the season.

It was a poor goal to concede for Solskjaer’s men, but they responded well with Cowie flashing a header wide from Aron Gunnarsson’s cross.

The newly-appointed Bluebirds boss introduced former Sunderland striker Fraizer Campbell and immediately he caused the Magpies problems.

The striker hit the same post Ben Arfa had in the first with Peter Odemwingie sending the rebound over.

Solskjaer sent on Craig Noone in the 72nd minute and less than a minute after coming on the midfielder brought Cardiff level.

The midfielder hit a wonderful strike from 30 yards after the Magpies had failed to close him down.

Seven minutes later, the game was turned on its head.

Whittingham sent a corner to the back post and Campbell was on hand to rise above everyone else and head in past Elliot with the Magpies caught napping.