JOHN Hughes is hoping to tie down a deal for two former Newcastle United prospects.
Dennis Knight and Michael Riley have both been training with Pools since their recent release from St James' Park.
They played for Pools' reserve side last week, with attacker Knight scoring twice.
Riley, who can play down the left-flank, is also of interest to Hughes.
"We'll try to do something with Dennis and Michael looking to the end of the season," Hughes said.
"There's two months to go, so let's see if they can grab it by the horns a take a chance.
"We'll get to know their character and see what they can do.
"Both have done well in the past couple of weeks and they could maybe help us."
Gateshead play Wrexham at Victoria Park this evening, their first Blue Square Premier League game of seven which will be at Victoria Park.
Their International Stadium pitch is unplayable and have played nine of their last ten games away from home.
The Heed include former Pools' favourites Ben Clark and James Brown, while manager Anth Smith had a brief loan spell at Pools in the 1991 and his assistant David Rush has had two stints in a blue and white shirt.
Brown said: "It will be good to go back to Victoria Park, where the surface is always spot on, to play some games and see some friendly faces.
"The Pools fans were brilliant with me and hopefully a few will come out and see a good James Brown performance on Tuesday - and hopefully a goal."
Two ex-Pools players will start in defence for Wrexham - Chris Westwood and Stephen Wright.
n The Cyril Knowles Stand will be opened for the game, with Gateshead fans using turnstiles 3 and 4.
Pools season ticket holders will be given admission at £10 for adults and £5 for concessions on production of their season ticket book.
The club's centenary lounge will be open before the game.
Prices: Adults £14; Over 65s - £9; Students £9; Under 16s £2.
More Hartlepool Utd News
- Hartlepool United consider signing Ched Evans
- Hartlepool United 1 Oxford United 1
- Saturday Spotlight: Ronnie Moore, aiming for the 1,000 club
- A mutual respect between Moore and Collins
- Moore the character to lift Pools
- Green instigates massive changes at Victoria Park
- Moore takes a leaf from Knowles' book
- Pools debt-free under new owners
- New boss Ronnie Moore to be given backing to turn new-look Pools around
- Press Conference Update: New boss Moore vows to lift The Monkey Hangers