NEWCASTLE UNITED manager Alan Pardew has condemned the Senegalese Federation’s decision to prevent Papiss Cisse from playing for the Magpies on Saturday.
Senegal’s governing body invoked the five-day rule after Cisse did not appear in midweek for their game against Niger, suffering from a back problem which he incurred during last week’s defeat by West Ham.
The decision to go to FIFA and invoke the rule to block Cisse playing for five days after the friendly has brought fury from St James’ Park.
Loading article content
Pardew suggested it cost his team three points, the club are threatening legal action against the federation and Cisse is considering his future as Senegal’s captain.
Pardew had expected Cisse to be available and his training sessions featured the No.9 alongside Demba Ba. But the decision to block his appearance in the 2-1 defeat to Swansea threw pre-match plans into disarray.
“We kept getting promised that the decision was going to be overturned and that Senegal were going to let Papiss play. But we kept waiting and waiting and it was at about 1.40pm that we finally found out that wasn’t going to happen,” explained Pardew.
“It did affect our preparation. We didn’t feel we did anything wrong and he should have played.
In Cisse’s absence, Sammy Ameobi lined up alongside Ba in only his third Premier League start, and Pardew added: “We didn’t have any time this week, we didn’t have Shola at all and trained with Papiss to play.”
“We had a lot of opportunities in the box and a natural finisher might have nicked the goal we needed. So it was really disappointing he couldn’t play.”
In a statement provided to the press just before kick-off, Newcastle said they were “dismayed and angry at the position adopted by the Senegalese Federation.”
The statement read: “It is the opinion of the club that it is wrong and wholly unjust for a national association to behave in this manner and for FIFA to endorse their stance and automatically apply the sanction without taking into account the specific facts of the case.
“The club is disappointed, although not in any way surprised, that FIFA has disregarded its submissions and valid points in relation to this matter and instead have supported a national association which ignored repeated attempts by the club to engage with them and, furthermore, insisted on a course of action which would have had a detrimental impact on the player’s physical condition.
“It is the club’s genuinely held view that the Senegalese Federation have an agenda against Papiss and/or Newcastle United, possibly as a reaction to the club’s decision earlier this year not to allow Papiss to participate in the London Olympics 2012.
“The club intends to take this matter up with the Football Association and any other relevant body within the game to try to stop national associations/federations and FIFA from preventing an employee (a player) from fulfilling their contractual obligations to their employer (a club).”
Cisse said: “I am deeply disappointed by the actions of my Federation, which have punished me and my club.
“I love playing for my country and would only withdraw from a squad – for either a friendly or competitive game – for a genuine reason.
“I am fully supportive of the position my club has adopted in this matter and am sorry that the Federation seem to doubt my honesty and integrity.
I will now consider if I wish to continue to captain my country.”