A VIOLENT sex attacker who raped a number of women, and girls as young as ten, was yesterday found guilty of raping another woman more than a decade earlier.

Antoni Imiela, 57, who grew up in Newton Aycliffe, County Durham, was convicted of raping Sheila Jankowitz in London, in the early hours of Christmas Day, 1987.

Police are now urging potential victims of Imiela, who is known as the M25 rapist, to come forward.

Loading article content

Imiela was yesterday jailed for 12 years at the Old Bailey for the rape, indecent assault and buggery of 31-year-old Mrs Jankowitz.

The court heard he grabbed her off the street near her southeast London flat, threatening to kill her if she called out and punching her repeatedly when she resisted.

Fourteen years after the attack, Imiela staged a series of rapes across the south of England on victims as young as ten – earning him the nickname the M25 rapist.

Speaking outside the Old Bailey yesterday, Detective Inspector John Foulkes said: “Imiela was convicted in 2004 for a series of stranger rapes across the Home Counties.

“It’s likely that the police are unaware of all his offending.

“I appeal to the public, and in particular anyone who is a potential victim of his in the late 1980s or between 1996 and 2002, to come forward.”

Mother-of-two Mrs Jankowitz died in 2006, but her mother-in-law, former husband and daughter went through the ordeal of giving evidence in the trial.

During his evidence, Imiela said he had made love to Mrs Jankowitz.

Passing sentence, Judge John Bevan told him: “I find this case saddening, not only because Sheila Jankowitz’s life was blighted from at least 1990 onwards by mental illness until her murder in 2006, but I also find your approach saddening, surprising as it may seem.”

He added: “You are wholly unrepentant about your life of guns, rape and general violence and, despite having served eight years of your life sentence, you have not expressed one jot of remorse.”

Imiela was given seven life sentences in 2004 for his chilling campaign of rapes, with a minimum term of eight years – meaning he became eligible for parole this month.