A MAN who was assaulted in his home nearly two weeks ago has died in hospital.

Jonathan Gilbert was being treated at the Royal Victoria Infirmary, in Newcastle, since the attack at his home in Crook, County Durham, on the evening of Friday, April 20.

The 43-year-old, who had been drinking with friends at his home in Sycamore Gardens when the assault happened, died late on Monday night without regaining consciousness.

Loading article content

A post-mortem examination is expected to be concluded today.

His family have been informed and police are now reviewing possible charges faced by a man already in custody.

Christopher Morgan, from Consett, was arrested and charged with wounding with intent after the attack.

The 24-year-old, of Thornfield Road, The Grove, appeared at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates’ Court on Monday, April 23, and again at Durham Crown Court later in the week, where he was remanded into custody until his next court appearance.

A plea hearing has been listed for July 6 with a provisional trial date, if needed, being earmarked for the week of August 28.

Police said discussions will now take place between officers and the Crown Prosecution Service regarding what charges Mr Morgan may face when he is next before the court.

Mr Gilbert was well-known in several pubs in the town and was described as a man who liked to keep himself to himself.

Christian Burns, a DJ at the King’s Head Pub, in Hope Street, where Mr Gilbert was a regular, said the town was in shock over the death, and those of a man and his mother at Crook Golf Club at the weekend.

He said: “Our thoughts go to the families of those who have died. It has been a very shocking week here, and in all the pubs and clubs it’s all people are talking about.”