FOLLOWING the announcement of council leader Bill Dixon's resignation, The Northern Echo spoke to shoppers about the news.

The Northern Echo: Geoffrey Conlin, 66, of Neasham said: “I think the council has been badly run for ages. I’m not sure who could replace him and do a good job. In the past, more money should have been spent on the future of Darlington, losing Binns will cause the town

Geoffrey Conlin, 66, of Neasham said: "I think the council has been badly run for ages. I’m not sure who could replace him and do a good job. In the past, more money should have been spent on the future of Darlington, losing Binns will cause the town to lose even more money."

The Northern Echo:

Helen Moretti, 53, of Darlington said: "He’s the right age to resign and it’s the right time. I think he’s done the best he can as there’s been a lot to deal with, times have been difficult for the town. I’d like to see someone take over who’s proactive like Jenny Chapman."

The Northern Echo: Mark Hill, 37, of Darlington said: “Well I don’t know very much about the local council, but I think Bill Dixon has got a bad reputation. I don’t think it’s very fair because there’s a lot being done to the town centre which is good for Darlingt

Mark Hill, 37, of Darlington said: "Well I don’t know very much about the local council, but I think Bill Dixon has got a bad reputation. I don’t think it’s very fair because there’s a lot being done to the town centre which is good for Darlington. I think the council is going in the right direction and hopefully if the new council leader continues, it will improve the town."

The Northern Echo: Judith Hall, 57, of Darlington said: “I don’t really think much of any of the councillors in Darlington. I don’t think Bill Dixon retiring will make one bit of difference to the town. The new leader should focus on the town centre because shops are

Judith Hall, 57, of Darlington said: "I don’t really think much of any of the councillors in Darlington. I don’t think Bill Dixon retiring will make one bit of difference to the town. The new leader should focus on the town centre because shops are leaving and it’s driving people away."

The Northern Echo: Steven Walton, 42, of Darlington said: “I’ve lived in Darlington my whole life and I love the town, but I think the next town council leader should look at keeping the shops open. I’m sure Bill Dixon did the best he could, but all the shops are leav

Steven Walton, 42, of Darlington said: "I’ve lived in Darlington my whole life and I love the town, but I think the next town council leader should look at keeping the shops open. I’m sure Bill Dixon did the best he could, but all the shops are leaving the town centre, people will stop coming to Darlington."

The Northern Echo: Stuart Bland, 45, of Darlington said: “I don’t really keep on top of local politics so I’m not sure if he’s done a good job. I think whoever takes over though, should look into taking care of the town’s businesses and sorting out the town centre

Stuart Bland, 45, of Darlington said: "I don’t really keep on top of local politics so I’m not sure if he’s done a good job. I think whoever takes over though, should look into taking care of the town’s businesses and sorting out the town centre. The new leader will hopefully be able to make progress in Darlington."