SIX cats died and a woman suffered from smoke inhalation after a bungalow fire in a North Yorkshire village.

The blaze broke out on Thursday afternoon in a property alongside the A64 in Rillington, between Malton and Scarborough.

The bungalow was "well alight" when firefighters arrived and was left severely damaged.

Loading article content

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault, possibly in a tumble dryer, but officers would return to the property to carry out a further investigation.

A spokeswoman said a female occupant had suffered from the effects of smoke inhalation and minor cuts and was treated at the scene by paramedics, who then took her to hospital.

She said that sadly, six cats had died in the fire.

Two fire engines from Malton and an aerial ladder platform from Scarborough went to the fire.

The first call about the fire was received at 1.39pm and police closed the westbound lane of the A64 while firefighters tackled the blaze.