A CANDLE on sale in Primark has been removed from the shelves after a customer posted a picture of the product apparently bursting into flames.

The customer said she bought the silver Christmas tree candle from a store for £5 on Saturday.

In a post on Facebook last night, Jenny Ferneyhough posted an image which purports to show the candle before and after setting completely alight.

Loading article content

The concerned shopper, who bought it in Manchester, said: "I am concerned that it poses a risk to the safety of anyone who owns one, and I have emailed Primark suggesting they recall them.

"In the meantime, I would be grateful if we could spread the word so that no one is put at risk by this."

The post has been shared more than 80,000 times.

Primark has confirmed the product has been pulled from its stores, pending an investigation.

A Primark spokesperson told The Northern Echo: “We take the safety of our customers and quality of our products very seriously.

"We are removing the product from sale while we investigate this complaint as a matter of urgency.”