A MAN has been arrested for possessing what has been described as a bullet at anti-fracking protests in Ryedale.

North Yorkshire Police say a 53-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possessing ammunition for a firearm at 2.25pm on Habton Road outside Third Energy’s Kirby Misperton gas site today.

Police said the ammunition was a “suspected bullet”.

Loading article content

At 6.30am that day two people locked themselves into a device and laid in the middle of Habton Road near Kirby Misperton. The road was closed while police assessed the situation and they were cut free at about 9.15am. The two 40-year-old women involved were then arrested on suspicion of obstructing a highway.

Previous protests involving people locking themselves into heavy, metal devices have taken place in front of the gates to the site.

Superintendent Alisdair Dey, of North Yorkshire Police, said: "The actions of these two people will cause significant disruption to the local community, particularly as people go to work or school this morning.

"It's challenging to balance the wishes of everyone at Kirby Misperton. However, once the balance has tipped from peaceful protest to deliberate acts that are unlawful and cause unreasonable disruption to local residents, then we have to take action."

Also arrested was a 38-year-old woman on suspicion of obstructing a police officer, a 29-year-old woman was arrested at about 11.30am on suspicion of obstructing the highway and obstructing a police officer.

And at 8.30am today, a 49-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer, and obstructing a police officer, on Habton Road.

The six people remain in custody at this time.

Those campaigning against imminent fracking due to take place at the site facilitated two 20-minute peaceful protests at the entrance to the site today.

Protestors requested a 20-minute ‘hold’ at the gate at 1.10pm, which was facilitated by officers. A number of lorries left the site just after 1.30pm.

And at 3.15pm, protestors carried out a ‘slow walk’ protest in front of two lorries. Those vehicles also left without incident at 3.35pm. Habton Road was kept open to passing traffic throughout.