YORK CITY are heading to Wembley again after an “incredible” two-legged victory over FA Cup quarter-finalists Lincoln City was sealed by a penalty from an ex-Hartlepool man.

With things level after the 90 minutes, substitute Scott Fenwick struck a confident penalty in the 105th minute against the National League leaders to set up a final showdown with Macclesfield at Wembley.

York boss Gary Mills said: “I didn’t watch the penalty, but I’m told he never misses them. Everybody was saying he should take it on the bench and Scotty is a confident lad who believes in himself.

Loading article content

“We’ve kept him around the camp and now he’s scored a goal that he will remember. I don’t know whether it was a penalty but, when you work hard, these decisions go for you, rather than against you, as they were doing four months ago.”

Mills led York to Wembley twice in consecutive weekends back in 2012 when he guided the Minstermen to the Trophy and promotion to the Football League via the play-offs.

This time around Mills is just as excited about heading to face the Silkmen under the Arch and wants the progress in the Trophy to act as a catalyst to ensuring his relegation threatened side stay in the National League.

He said: “To beat Lincoln over two legs is magnificent and getting to Wembley again is an incredible feeling. It’s a boost for everybody and, hopefully, this is the start of us making sure we do the most vital thing, which is staying in the league because nobody wants to go there on the back of a negative.

“It’s going to be hard work but, whilst I inherited a poor dressing room, boy, we’ve got a good one now and this performance was all about heart in capital letters. We’ve played Lincoln three times in three weeks now and they haven’t beaten us, which shows the belief we have got, because they are a good side – make no mistake about that - so nobody can begrudge us getting there.”

Lincoln had pulled the aggregate score level when Sean Raggett headed the home side in front with 24 minutes remaining.

But the stage was set in extra-time for Fenwick to steal the show and convert from the spot after Hamza Bencherif’s effort was blocked by the arm of a diving Terry Hawkridge.

YORK: Letheren; Rooney, Bencherif, Parslow, Heslop, Hall, Connolly (Moke 71), Newton, Oliver (Holmes 86), Parkin, Morgan-Smith (Fenwick 95). Subs (not used): Simpson, Walton.

GATESHEAD boosted their play-off hopes as they came from behind to score a last-minute winner in a dramatic 2-1 victory against relegation-threatened Woking.

Woking took the lead their early dominance deserved when Terell Thomas headed in Fabio Saraiva's 21st-minute corner, with the ball taking a deflection on its way into the net.

The visitors could have extended their lead as they carved out three chances in the space of five minutes, Nathan Ralph firing an effort just wide of the post and then James Montgomery on his toes to keep out shots from Gozie Ugwu and Jamie Lucas, signed on loan from Bristol Rovers on Friday.

Gateshead made a bright start to the second half and equalised in the 52nd minute when Danny Johnson showed great strength to head a bouncing ball into the back of the net.

With time running out, Wes York converted from close range a cross from substitute Mitch Brundle to ensure the Heed remain unbeaten in eight matches.

GATESHEAD: Montgomery; Bolton (Brundle 52), Hogan, Mafuta, Smith, Smith, Beere (Hannant 45), McLaughlin, Johnson, Burrow, York. Subs (not used): Ajala, Bell.