A FATHER has walked free from court after he was cleared of spitting at and racially abusing staff at a takeaway in a row over his son.
Sean Scott was accused of racially aggravated assault by beating and using threatening words and behaviour.
Loading article content
Meanwhile, his 16-year-old son had been accused of throwing a firework at a car being driven by one of the alleged victims.
Prosecutor Richard Herrman said that at 10.30pm on October 24 last year Scott went to the takeaway and accused staff over a video which had been taken of the firework incident.
An argument ensued as Scott went to leave and he described one member of staff as “Paki scum”, while also making threats.
One female member of staff working in the shop went to take a picture of the defendant after he returned to his car outside, but was then allegedly spat at and pushed.
Scott, 47, of Briar Road, Thornaby, denied the offences and said he had spoke to shop staff calmly.
Giving evidence, he said one of the complainants had “flipped” at him and gone crazy, shouting abuse.
Scott, who feared the video of his son was about to be posted on Facebook, also said it was he who had in fact been punched, not the other way around.
There was CCTV in the shop but it did not form part of the trial as the footage was deemed to be of too poor quality.
Scott, whose trial lasted three days, was cleared by the jury of all the charges.
Recorder Gurdai Singh allowed him to be discharged and also thanked the jury for their efforts in considering the case.