POLICE have repeated warnings to the public about staying safe around water following the death of a man who went for a dip at a fish quay.

It was the third suspected drowning in the North-East as people veer to the coast and riverbanks during the recent heatwave.

The latest victim appeared to get into difficulties after entering the quay, near the mouth of the River Tyne, at North Shields, North Tyneside, on Saturday (July 26) afternoon

Loading article content

As emergency services were summoned, shortly after 5.30pm, members of the public managed to pull the casualty from the water and ambulance crew members gave first aid at the quayside.

The man, said to be in his 40s, was taken to hospital for treatment where he was pronounced dead.

Chief Superintendent Kay Blyth, of Northumbria Police, said: “We’re in the process of notifying friends and family, and our thoughts are with them at this incredibly sad time.

“There’s not believed to be any third party involvement and a report will be prepared for the coroner, and a future inquest will establish exactly what happened in this incident.

“However, I’d like to re-iterate previous advice about staying safe around water

“We know during hot weather more people spend time at the beach, at rivers and lakes and it’s important they are aware of the dangers.

“Open water can be extremely deceiving with powerful currents and tides, with possible obstructions under the surface which pose a risk, even to strong swimmers.

“Some of the region’s beaches are staffed by Royal National Lifeboat Institute lifeguards, with safe bathing areas clearly marked with flags on the beach, and we would encourage people who want to go into the sea to visit these areas.”

The latest tragedy comes just two days after the death of a 22-year-old man who apparently drowned at a beauty spot.

Andrew McWilliams was pulled from the lake at Watergate Park, in Gateshead, by members of emergency services on Thursday afternoon.

He was earlier seen wading into the water having told pals he was going to teach a friend how to swim.

Mr McWilliams, of Lobley Hill, Gateshead, was later pronounced dead at Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary.

A post-mortem examination is expected to be carried out tomorrow (Monday July 28).

Mr McWilliams death came the day after the body of David Zikhali was recovered by drivers from the River Tees, in Stockton.

The 20-year-old student, from Stockton, was with friends when he got into difficulties in the water near the Millennium Bridge, last Monday evening (July 21).