A TEENAGE boy was admitted to hospital tonight (Tuesday, July 22) for a precautionary medical check after falling ten feet down a ravine when a makeshift rope swing snapped.
A spokesman for County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue service said the boy was swinging the rope tied to a tree at Crimdon Dene, near Peterlee, when it broke.
Two appliances from Peterlee Fire Station attended the scene when the alarm was raised at about 4.30pm.
Loading article content
The spokesman said: “The boy, who is in his mid-teens, has fallen about ten feet to the bottom of the dene.
“He hit a few rocks on his descent, but fortunately his injuries are not believed to be serious.
“He was treated at the scene by firefighters before the arrival of the North East Ambulance Service’s HART team.”
His sister suffered shock.
The boy was taken to the University Hospital of Hartlepool with bruising to the ribs and pelvis.