A DRUNKEN murder squad detective was "absolutely legless" when he ripped off his shirt and attacked a holidaymaker in a pub, a court heard today.

Detective Sergeant Paul Whiteley, 50, also hurled abuse at the mother of an autistic teenager, it was claimed.

He launched the "unprovoked attack" after sharing bottles of wine with his girlfriend Claire Hughes, 43, at the Fylingdales Inn, Fylingthorpe, near Whitby, North Yorkshire, it was alleged.

Loading article content

The court heard that as the couple left the pub - still carrying an open bottle of wine - they were followed into the car park by the alleged victim, a 41-year-old electrician.

?Scarborough Magistrates heard the holidaymaker had been asked to have a word with the couple when the pub barmaid spotted them heading for their car.

He said: "I went out there and asked him politely 'You are not drinking and driving are you?'"

He claimed Whiteley, who was getting in the passenger side, replied; "I'm not driving - she is.'"

The electrician said he objected, saying: "She is legless as well."

The court heard that he rejoined his girlfriend and her 19-year-old autistic daughter in the pub.

Ms Hughes and Det Sgt Whiteley also came back inside and things became "heated," the alleged victim told the hearing.

He said that after the officer slapped him in the face, he defended himself and Det Sgt Whiteley ended up on his back.

He added: "He was absolutely legless. He could hardly stand up. He was falling all over the place."

His partner said: "He ripped his shirt off after the slap and slung it towards the bar.

"He shouted at (my boyfriend) - 'Come on then - outside you bald headed b******.'

"He was shouting 'I'm a copper - I will do what I like. He was paralytic. They were both blind drunk.

"My initial reaction was to get my daughter away from what was going on."

She claims Hughes then grabbed her by the throat as her daughter "screamed her head off".

The court heard police were called and Det Sgt Whiteley, of West Yorkshire Police Homicide and Major Enquiry Team, told the pub: "Let them come. I'm a police officer. I will sort it out."

The court heard he was arrested and bundled in a police van after the incident at about 9.30pm on May 29 last year.

Prosecutor Martin Hawes described both attacks as "unprovoked" and denied Det Sgt Whiteley was acting in self defence.

?The police officer, of Grange Moor, Wakefield, and Ms Hughes, of Fulford Place, Hospital Fields Road, York, both deny assault by beating.

The trial continues.