DETECTIVES are investigating after a great-grandmother died after she was attacked in a care home.

Jennie Bryant, 89, suffered head injuries following the incident at Brockwell Court Care Home, on Cobden Street, in Consett, County Durham.

A 71-year-old man suspected of attacking the woman on June 28 was arrested on suspicion of assault by police.

Loading article content

Mrs Bryant was taken to the University Hospital North Durham for treatment to a head injury but she died in the hospital on July 5.

Police have confirmed that an investigation is ongoing into the incident but have so far been unable to interview the suspect.

The man no longer lives at Brockwell Court and has been detained at a hospital under the Mental Health Act.

A post-mortem examination has been carried out by Home Office pathologist Dr Jennifer Bolton but further tests are required to establish a formal cause of death.

An inquest has been opened and adjourned by the County Durham coroner.

Senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Brad Howe, said: “Sadly, Mrs Bryant passed away in hospital on July 5.

“We are doing whatever we can at this distressing time to support the families involved and specially trained family liaison officers are being utilised.

“This investigation remains ongoing but we are not looking to arrest anyone else.

“We continue to work closely with the Care Quality Commission and the care home itself.”

Brockwell Court, which has 75 beds, provides specialist care for residents who require dementia support, general nursing and palliative care, as well as low-dependency residential assistance.

A spokesman for Four Seasons, which runs the home, said: “We are very sad to announce that a resident was admitted to hospital where she has died, following an incident at the home on June 28.

“We are assisting police with their investigations and they are talking to a male resident.

“We are doing whatever we can at this distressing time to support the families as well as other residents and members of our care staff who are also upset.

“It would be inappropriate to comment further ahead of the outcome of the police investigation.”