A BLAZE at a North-East farm that destroyed around £200,000-worth of tractor tyres has been allowed to burn out under the supervision of firefighters.

The fire started at around lunchtime yesterday (Wednesday, July 9) in outbuildings at Little Gordon Farm, Lands Banks, near Cockfield, in County Durham.

At the height of the blaze seven fire appliances and 38 firefighters were at the scene and thick black smoke could be seen as far away at Teesside.

Loading article content

A crew remained onsite throughout the night to ensure the fire subsided safely and was able to leave this morning.

Firefighters will continue to visit the scene every two to three hours until they are satisfied it is safe to leave.

The fire broke out at 12.53pm on Wednesday sending choking black smoke billowing across the road.

At the height of the blaze, which destroyed more than 400 tyres, thick black smoke billowing from the burning tyres could be seen as far as 30 miles away in Darlington and Teesside.

The Environment Agency and fire service officers also attended the incident.

For safety reasons, householders living near the site were advised to keep their windows and doors closed to prevent smoke entering their properties.

Many motorists stopped their cars on the side of the B6282 about half a mile from the farm to watch the incident unfold and take pictures and video footage on their mobile phones.

One woman, who was watching the scene unfold from the roadside, said: “I first noticed the smoke at about 1.10pm, in Tindale Crescent.

“Then loads of fire engines flew past not long after that.”

The smoke was starting to lessen by mid-afternoon and the road past the farm was re-opened to traffic last night.

Police redirected cars from the B6282 along a back road towards Morley to allow the fire service vehicles access to water supplies.

Speaking from the scene of the fire, Stuart Errington, deputy chief fire officer for County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Crews and control staff have done a fantastic job.

“The crews have worked hard to save the farm house from the fire.

“Their response was made very challenging due to water supplies in this very rural location, which is a long way from the hydrant.

“The crews have worked hard to overcome this initial difficulty and have worked quickly and effectively to bring this large fire under control.”

A spokesman for Durham Police said officers attended the incident from a road policing perspective to help redirect traffic away from the scene.

It is not thought anyone was hurt during the incident.

The cause of the blaze is not yet known.