Further bus cuts delayed by a year

CHRIS METCALFE: "It is clear this work cannot be completed before April 2016."

CHRIS METCALFE: "It is clear this work cannot be completed before April 2016."

First published in News

MORE bus cuts coming on top of reductions which have left many elderly and vulnerable people stranded across North Yorkshire have been put back a year.

But campaigners say have still been unable to sort out problems caused by the existing cuts which saw bus subsidies slashed by £2m in April.

There was a storm of protest over this years cuts with 15 petitions signed by nearly 6,000 people. The county council warned then, more cuts were on the cards in 2015.

Now the authority says further reductions will not be introduced until April 2016 at the earliest until after an in depth review of what remains of the subsidised network and an investigation into bus subsidies to see how to make them more sustainable.

But Paul Fisher, secretary of Hambleton Over 50’s Forum, run by Age UK, said many people were still trying to get answers over the existing cuts.

At a recent meeting to gauge concern, they were told of one 94-year-old woman from Stokesley who had to pay £26 for a taxi to see her doctor because services had been cut so badly.

He said: “We are pleased to see that North Yorkshire County Council is going to take their time to make further reductions, but they are still talking about reductions.

“We have had no response, from the council or bus operators, to the issues raised relating to the existing cuts which have left people unable to access services.

“We have seen no evidence that community transport has received any additional help.

“We are happy to work with the county council and bus operators, on any issues and we hope that this time our concerns will be listened to.”

County councillor Chris Metcalfe, North Yorkshire’s executive member for integrated passenger transport, said: “It is crucially important to this authority that people across this extensive, largely rural county are able to continue to access vital services and therefore we must give very careful consideration to a whole series of options.

“This is a very wide-ranging piece of work that needs time and commitment. It is now clear that this work cannot be completed before April 2016.”

The council says it is looking at ways of helping bus operators provide additional commercial services, review performance, look at making use of school bus services in rural areas and existing community transport and investigate using the council’s in house fleet.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:33pm Sun 29 Jun 14

blobby38 says...

the reason they have not had any feed back from the bus operators is because they still have there noses in the trough !! mr proctor has a least 5 buses taking children to my kids school at £159 a day each!! and then these buses do service runs in between this on god knows amount ? must be in the wrong job so going to bid for one of the school contracts ,wouldnt mind but most of his buses are scrap or illegal or got screw drivers in the front seat even the council and vosa have fined him
the reason they have not had any feed back from the bus operators is because they still have there noses in the trough !! mr proctor has a least 5 buses taking children to my kids school at £159 a day each!! and then these buses do service runs in between this on god knows amount ? must be in the wrong job so going to bid for one of the school contracts ,wouldnt mind but most of his buses are scrap or illegal or got screw drivers in the front seat even the council and vosa have fined him blobby38
  • Score: 1

1:00pm Mon 30 Jun 14

cholmes005 says...

Every so often these debates crop up about buses been cut but the fact is a lot of these rural services are so underused its not worth running them and they hardly going to keep them going for a small handful of pensioners using the service once a week. I was recently on a rural bus with my dad from barnard castle to bishop Auckland which only had another 3 passengers on and went through 3 villages where no one go on or off and this was a Saturday afternoon. Buses later on will probs be even quitter.
Every so often these debates crop up about buses been cut but the fact is a lot of these rural services are so underused its not worth running them and they hardly going to keep them going for a small handful of pensioners using the service once a week. I was recently on a rural bus with my dad from barnard castle to bishop Auckland which only had another 3 passengers on and went through 3 villages where no one go on or off and this was a Saturday afternoon. Buses later on will probs be even quitter. cholmes005
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree