A 13-YEAR-OLD boy is in hospital with serious injuries after suffering severe electric burns on overhead lines in a North-East railway depot.

The teenager was airlifted to Newcastle’ Royal Victoria Infirmary by a Great North Air Ambulance following the incident at the Tyne Yard Railway Depot, north of Birtley, Gateshead, shortly after 4pm yesterday (Saturday, June 14).

A second youth, who suffered minor burns, was taken to hospital by ambulance.

Loading article content

A British Transport Police spokesman said: “On arrival officers discovered a 13-year-old boy with serious burns to his body. It is believed he may have got an electric shock from overhead lines at the depot.

“He was treated at the scene by paramedics from the North East Ambulance Service and airlifted to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary, where his condition has been described as serious.”

She added: “A second male, aged 14, also received minor burns to one of his arms and was taken to hospital by ambulance.

“Officers are with the (seriously injured) boy’s family, providing them with support. There are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances.

“The incident appears to be the result of a tragic accident.”

British Transport Police are investigating the circumstances.

A spokesman for Great North Air Ambulance said: “There were reports of two people injured. A 13-year-old male, who was more seriously hurt, had suffered severe burns to 70 per cent of his body.

“He was anaesthetised at the scene by an air ambulance doctor, who worked alongside a rapid response paramedic team from the North East Ambulance Service .

“The patient was flown to the RVI in Newcastle. The flight took less than five minutes. He was described as critical but stable on his arrival.”

The incident was also attended by members of the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service.

A fire brigade spokesman said: “We attended a call for assistance at the Tyne Yard Railway Depot and were able to render first aid and assist the medical services in dealing with the casualties.”