Man bailed in university explosives case

Bomb disposal team at halls of residence on Tuesday (7148258)

Bomb disposal team at halls of residence on Tuesday (7148258)

First published in News

ONE of two Russian students arrested after an incident that prompted two evacuations and a controlled explosion at Newcastle has been released.

The North East Counter Terrorism Unit confirmed the 18-year-old, who had been questioned on suspicion of offences under the Explosives Act, had been released on police bail this afternoon (Friday June 13).

A second student, also aged 18, was arrested in London on Tuesday on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act. He remains in custody.

Counter terrorism police have taken over the investigation and Northumbria Police say there is no evidence to suggest that students, or any wider communities are at immediate risk in connection with the alleged offences.

Police were called in by university staff Tuesday amid concerns about a "change in behaviour" of a student and the belief he was carrying a knife.

Roads surrounding the INTO accommodation building were closed off as specialist bomb disposal experts were called in.

A specialist robot was seen entering the building and eventually a controlled explosion was carried out on Newcastle Town Moor.

A second temporary evacuation was ordered early yesterday (Thursday) morning and students were allowed to return following searches.

Dr John Hogan, registrar at Newcastle University, said: "We'd like to reassure staff and current and prospective students that our main campus is open as usual.

"We would reiterate that our campus is very safe.

"We have excellent security arrangements in place at the university and that allowed us to deal with the issue very quickly."

Jo Farrell, assistant chief constable at Northumbria Police said: "Shortly after 10am on Tuesday, June 10, 2014, Northumbria Police were contacted by staff from Newcastle University outlining concern in relation to a student.

"This concern was in relation to a change in the behaviour of the student and the belief he was carrying a knife.

"A University Neighbourhood Police officer attended and met with staff and as a result of that meeting the officer and staff attended a bedroom in the halls of residence.

"A number of items were seen in the bedroom which gave cause for concern and we implemented our well established response plans which included an evacuation of the building and implementation of safety cordons."

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree