A MAN responsible for the sexual abuse of two young girls was today (Friday June 6) jailed for six years and eight months.
Colin James Thomas Golightly committed one series of offences during the 1990s and the second in more recent years.
But, Durham Crown Court was told in each case he tried to persuade both victims not to reveal what he had done, and it was only late last year that it was reported to police, after one girl told an aunt what had taken place.
Paul Newcombe, prosecuting, said Golightly was arrested but made no comment in his police interview.
But, at a hearing earlier in April, the 57-year-old, of Nightingale Place, South Moor, Stanley, County Durham, admitted six counts of indecent assault and seven of sexual assault.
Mr Newcombe said the offences appear to have had a “significant” effect on the victims.
But, Judge Christopher Prince said: “There’s absolutely no reason, whatsoever, for them to feel shame or blame for what happened.
“Everyone in the criminal justice system realises the courage it takes to come forward with such complaints.”
Thomas Laffey, for Golightly, told the court: “He did plead ‘guilty’ at the first opportunity.
“He’s effectively of previous good character and has been in custody since January this year.
“He is considered to pose a low to medium risk of committing further sexual offences. He’s not classed as a serious risk to members of the public.
“The defendant will co-operate with whatever work is felt is needed to address such offending which will take place while in prison.”
Jailing him, Judge Prince told Golightly: “While you accept sexually abusing these victims, you have tried to make some justification for it, in order to minimise your behaviour to them.
“You have to realise there can be no justification for these offences.”
Golightly will remain subject to registration as a sex offender for the rest of his life.