For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Campaigners continue fight to close down abattoir
12:10pm Tuesday 3rd June 2014 in News
CAMPAIGNERS opposed to an abattoir operating in an east Cleveland village are hoping to persuade councillors to force its owner to close it down.
Boosbeck Against Slaughterhouse (Bash) fought to stop the abattoir in the centre of the village from reopening when an application was lodged with Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council in 2011.
And they have continued to protest about problems associated with the Halal slaughterhouse after they were unsuccessful in their bid to prevent BHM of Middlesbrough from re-opening the site.
The council was heavily criticised for allowing the site to be reopened, but maintained it was unable to block it as no planning permission was needed because there would be no change of use of the site.
However, the council’s regulatory committee, formerly the planning committee, is expected to hear a motion calling for the authority to force its closure using a discontinuance order.
Ward councillor David Williams plans to submit the motion of discontinuance at the meeting
He said: “I am putting a motion to planning under section 102 of the planning act to discontinue the use due to improper planning and amenity.
"As far as I am aware this type of motion is very rare, I can only find two being done in the whole country in the past five years.
"The reason being the lives and amenity of Boosbeck is being affected by this operation. The noise 24 hours a day is unbearable with work being done inside and out, the constant wagons revving and their reversing sirens going off, men shouting and swearing day and night."
In 2012, the campaigners issued a legal challenge after the licence was granted to reopen the abattoir, but the Court of Appeal rejected their appeal last January.
Helen McLuckie, Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council’s cabinet member for highways, planning and transport, said the authority had listened to residents’ concerns and their complaints had been investigated.
She said: “Legal and planning officers have explored the issues surrounding the legislation and a motion will be considered by the regulatory committee on Thursday.
“Planning enforcement and environmental protection teams have investigated a number of complaints but there is no evidence a statutory nuisance has occurred.”
No one was available for comment from BHM of Middlesbrough last night.
The regulatory meeting takes place at 10amon Thursday (June5).
Comments are closed on this article.