Durham County Council opens emergency traveller camp after complaints from Startforth residents

The Northern Echo: MASS GATHERING: A large group of traveller caravans have appeared on a green open space at Startforth Park near Barnard Castle.  Picture: CHRIS BOOTH MASS GATHERING: A large group of traveller caravans have appeared on a green open space at Startforth Park near Barnard Castle. Picture: CHRIS BOOTH

AN emergency camp site is being opened after a housing estate was swamped with caravans on their way to the Appleby Fair.

Dozens of travellers have set up camp at Startforth Park on the outskirts of Barnard Castle sparking fury from residents.

The problem was exacerbated by a temporary site at Shawbank, which the travellers had been directed, being closed due after heavy rain turned it into a mud bath.

Now Durham County Council is opening a former salt depot at Barforth Park on the A688 Barnard Castle for the travellers to use.

Oliver Sherratt, head of direct services, said this was in response to residents’ concerns, some of which were raised on Facebook.

Annette Vasey said: “The kids can't go out to play as, intimidation apart, they have parked all over the play area and have horses running all over.

“There is no sanitation there so chances are the people who live there legally cannot let their children play on there when the travellers leave as God knows what they will encounter.”

Residents have also criticised the Ministry of Justice who own the land as part of the Deerbolt Young Offenders Institute for not making the land secure against caravans.

Governor Gabrielle Lee said: “I do not decry our neighbours’ distress or experiences, this is a problem that has been made a lot worse this year due to the weather ruining one of the camps.

“We have been in regular contact with the travellers talking to them about having consideration for residents especially when it comes to dealing with noise, animals and refuse.”

The governor said the problem will be reviewed but insisted the solution is not as simple as putting up a barrier due to the size and layout of the land.

She also said any legal attempts to move the caravans would be a waste of expense to the tax payers as by the time the proper procedures were in place the travellers will have moved on to the Cumbrian fair, which starts next Thursday (June 5).

Barnard Castle neighbourhood police team have also made regular trips to the site and are encouraging the travellers to use Barforth Park.

Neighbourhood Inspector Kevin Tuck said: “We understand the angst and anxiety of residents and are committed to tackling any criminal allegations at the camp.

“But this is a civil trespass and we do not have the power to break up the camp.”

Comments (36)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:10am Fri 30 May 14

thetruthyoucanthandlethetruth says...

My heart goes out to the people of Appleby and any others affected by these people.
My heart goes out to the people of Appleby and any others affected by these people. thetruthyoucanthandlethetruth
  • Score: 63

8:33am Fri 30 May 14

laboursfoe says...

They parked straight on the kids playing field with small goals up, in the middle of half term.

It's disgusting, they talk about respect and being victimised but they continue to show that they don't give a hoot about anything or anyone except themselves.

Seen reports of deficating in bushes and helping themselves to residents outside taps to fill huge water containers.
They parked straight on the kids playing field with small goals up, in the middle of half term. It's disgusting, they talk about respect and being victimised but they continue to show that they don't give a hoot about anything or anyone except themselves. Seen reports of deficating in bushes and helping themselves to residents outside taps to fill huge water containers. laboursfoe
  • Score: 75

8:59am Fri 30 May 14

StanLaurels_CamelToe says...

Is it ok if I park my caravan there for a few nights when they have gone? Obviously I don't wish to pay rent, site fees, council tax and I also demand that someone come and tidy up my mess at the end, which I also don't want to pay for.

Is that ok DCC?
Is it ok if I park my caravan there for a few nights when they have gone? Obviously I don't wish to pay rent, site fees, council tax and I also demand that someone come and tidy up my mess at the end, which I also don't want to pay for. Is that ok DCC? StanLaurels_CamelToe
  • Score: 72

10:16am Fri 30 May 14

studio says...

NORTHERN ECHO - Why have previous comments been deleted?????

There was no swearing or threats?

I thought these comment sections were for people to air there views.

Myself, Old Biddy and David Lacey have all had comments removed. PATHETIC!
NORTHERN ECHO - Why have previous comments been deleted????? There was no swearing or threats? I thought these comment sections were for people to air there views. Myself, Old Biddy and David Lacey have all had comments removed. PATHETIC! studio
  • Score: 36

10:26am Fri 30 May 14

studio says...

Hang on, I understand now.

Obviously our comments were not favourable towards the travellers ( not all, but most of them )

Clearly the big wigs censoring these comments are just as scared of them as the law and authourities.
Hang on, I understand now. Obviously our comments were not favourable towards the travellers ( not all, but most of them ) Clearly the big wigs censoring these comments are just as scared of them as the law and authourities. studio
  • Score: 41

10:31am Fri 30 May 14

OldBiddyFrom Barney says...

I didn't agree with 2 of the comments made and in my comment explained why. I do however feel the other commentators have as much right to free speech and to voice their opinions as me because this board should be about everyone having their views heard.

It is completely pointless the Northern Echo pretending to be neutral on this matter if you shut down debate. I don't think debate is dangerous I think the way the Travellers are being marginalised and victimised is.

Startforth has not been invaded the Travellers are there in large numbers because the agreed sites have become waterlogged. There is a simple explanation no need to panic and carry on like people are. They will be gone within days and you can all get back to moaning about .......
I didn't agree with 2 of the comments made and in my comment explained why. I do however feel the other commentators have as much right to free speech and to voice their opinions as me because this board should be about everyone having their views heard. It is completely pointless the Northern Echo pretending to be neutral on this matter if you shut down debate. I don't think debate is dangerous I think the way the Travellers are being marginalised and victimised is. Startforth has not been invaded the Travellers are there in large numbers because the agreed sites have become waterlogged. There is a simple explanation no need to panic and carry on like people are. They will be gone within days and you can all get back to moaning about ....... OldBiddyFrom Barney
  • Score: -39

10:43am Fri 30 May 14

dm1970 says...

There is no free speech on this site, this paper (plus DBC and police) with their, turn a blind eye attitude, are contributing to the demise of this once great town. You can only have a debate if BOTH sides have free speech.
There is no free speech on this site, this paper (plus DBC and police) with their, turn a blind eye attitude, are contributing to the demise of this once great town. You can only have a debate if BOTH sides have free speech. dm1970
  • Score: 32

10:44am Fri 30 May 14

nigel d says...

How can any written comment offend the gypsy community, after all the self proclaimed king can't be prosecuted to the fulleextent of the law as he himself declared I Cant Read.
I'm just another citizen of teesdale that has to pay my council tax to help keep these people in the lifestyle they have.
How can any written comment offend the gypsy community, after all the self proclaimed king can't be prosecuted to the fulleextent of the law as he himself declared I Cant Read. I'm just another citizen of teesdale that has to pay my council tax to help keep these people in the lifestyle they have. nigel d
  • Score: 55

10:45am Fri 30 May 14

studio says...

OldBiddyFrom Barney wrote:
I didn't agree with 2 of the comments made and in my comment explained why. I do however feel the other commentators have as much right to free speech and to voice their opinions as me because this board should be about everyone having their views heard. It is completely pointless the Northern Echo pretending to be neutral on this matter if you shut down debate. I don't think debate is dangerous I think the way the Travellers are being marginalised and victimised is. Startforth has not been invaded the Travellers are there in large numbers because the agreed sites have become waterlogged. There is a simple explanation no need to panic and carry on like people are. They will be gone within days and you can all get back to moaning about .......
Agreed ( with most of your points! ) Oldbiddy. If you did get to read my comment before it was removed you will see that the points i made were not in Startforth.

I understand the point you make about the waterlogged area. But the town and local authourities make an effort to welcome these travellers each year, providing toilets and bins, yet a majoirty of them treat the area with a huge amount of disregard.

I do however think Davids comment was ridiculous. How anybody thinks violence could help this situation is beyond me!
[quote][p][bold]OldBiddyFrom Barney[/bold] wrote: I didn't agree with 2 of the comments made and in my comment explained why. I do however feel the other commentators have as much right to free speech and to voice their opinions as me because this board should be about everyone having their views heard. It is completely pointless the Northern Echo pretending to be neutral on this matter if you shut down debate. I don't think debate is dangerous I think the way the Travellers are being marginalised and victimised is. Startforth has not been invaded the Travellers are there in large numbers because the agreed sites have become waterlogged. There is a simple explanation no need to panic and carry on like people are. They will be gone within days and you can all get back to moaning about .......[/p][/quote]Agreed ( with most of your points! ) Oldbiddy. If you did get to read my comment before it was removed you will see that the points i made were not in Startforth. I understand the point you make about the waterlogged area. But the town and local authourities make an effort to welcome these travellers each year, providing toilets and bins, yet a majoirty of them treat the area with a huge amount of disregard. I do however think Davids comment was ridiculous. How anybody thinks violence could help this situation is beyond me! studio
  • Score: 18

10:55am Fri 30 May 14

stevegg says...

Travellers being considerate to local residents, get real! Barforth is about 3 miles away in the opposite direction, theres no way the travellers on Startforth will use that. Counter measures should have been put in place long before by the prison authorities eg, bollards/fences etc. As usual the police (who have no powers to evict) are left to sort the mess out whilst other authorities abbdicate all responsibility!
Travellers being considerate to local residents, get real! Barforth is about 3 miles away in the opposite direction, theres no way the travellers on Startforth will use that. Counter measures should have been put in place long before by the prison authorities eg, bollards/fences etc. As usual the police (who have no powers to evict) are left to sort the mess out whilst other authorities abbdicate all responsibility! stevegg
  • Score: 40

11:04am Fri 30 May 14

OldBiddyFrom Barney says...

studio wrote:
OldBiddyFrom Barney wrote:
I didn't agree with 2 of the comments made and in my comment explained why. I do however feel the other commentators have as much right to free speech and to voice their opinions as me because this board should be about everyone having their views heard. It is completely pointless the Northern Echo pretending to be neutral on this matter if you shut down debate. I don't think debate is dangerous I think the way the Travellers are being marginalised and victimised is. Startforth has not been invaded the Travellers are there in large numbers because the agreed sites have become waterlogged. There is a simple explanation no need to panic and carry on like people are. They will be gone within days and you can all get back to moaning about .......
Agreed ( with most of your points! ) Oldbiddy. If you did get to read my comment before it was removed you will see that the points i made were not in Startforth.

I understand the point you make about the waterlogged area. But the town and local authourities make an effort to welcome these travellers each year, providing toilets and bins, yet a majoirty of them treat the area with a huge amount of disregard.

I do however think Davids comment was ridiculous. How anybody thinks violence could help this situation is beyond me!
studio

The majority are in fact very very welcome in Barney they are big spenders and the pubs and cafes are full when they are here. The 'problems' are because the traditional halting places have been built on or fenced off causing friction when Travellers stop somewhere they have never stopped before. The anger and dismay caused by people parking up for a few days is ridiculous.

I feel there are a lot of bitter middle aged people about who just use the Travellers as a focus for their venom and spite.
[quote][p][bold]studio[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OldBiddyFrom Barney[/bold] wrote: I didn't agree with 2 of the comments made and in my comment explained why. I do however feel the other commentators have as much right to free speech and to voice their opinions as me because this board should be about everyone having their views heard. It is completely pointless the Northern Echo pretending to be neutral on this matter if you shut down debate. I don't think debate is dangerous I think the way the Travellers are being marginalised and victimised is. Startforth has not been invaded the Travellers are there in large numbers because the agreed sites have become waterlogged. There is a simple explanation no need to panic and carry on like people are. They will be gone within days and you can all get back to moaning about .......[/p][/quote]Agreed ( with most of your points! ) Oldbiddy. If you did get to read my comment before it was removed you will see that the points i made were not in Startforth. I understand the point you make about the waterlogged area. But the town and local authourities make an effort to welcome these travellers each year, providing toilets and bins, yet a majoirty of them treat the area with a huge amount of disregard. I do however think Davids comment was ridiculous. How anybody thinks violence could help this situation is beyond me![/p][/quote]studio The majority are in fact very very welcome in Barney they are big spenders and the pubs and cafes are full when they are here. The 'problems' are because the traditional halting places have been built on or fenced off causing friction when Travellers stop somewhere they have never stopped before. The anger and dismay caused by people parking up for a few days is ridiculous. I feel there are a lot of bitter middle aged people about who just use the Travellers as a focus for their venom and spite. OldBiddyFrom Barney
  • Score: -30

11:35am Fri 30 May 14

studio says...

OldBiddyFrom Barney wrote:
studio wrote:
OldBiddyFrom Barney wrote: I didn't agree with 2 of the comments made and in my comment explained why. I do however feel the other commentators have as much right to free speech and to voice their opinions as me because this board should be about everyone having their views heard. It is completely pointless the Northern Echo pretending to be neutral on this matter if you shut down debate. I don't think debate is dangerous I think the way the Travellers are being marginalised and victimised is. Startforth has not been invaded the Travellers are there in large numbers because the agreed sites have become waterlogged. There is a simple explanation no need to panic and carry on like people are. They will be gone within days and you can all get back to moaning about .......
Agreed ( with most of your points! ) Oldbiddy. If you did get to read my comment before it was removed you will see that the points i made were not in Startforth. I understand the point you make about the waterlogged area. But the town and local authourities make an effort to welcome these travellers each year, providing toilets and bins, yet a majoirty of them treat the area with a huge amount of disregard. I do however think Davids comment was ridiculous. How anybody thinks violence could help this situation is beyond me!
studio The majority are in fact very very welcome in Barney they are big spenders and the pubs and cafes are full when they are here. The 'problems' are because the traditional halting places have been built on or fenced off causing friction when Travellers stop somewhere they have never stopped before. The anger and dismay caused by people parking up for a few days is ridiculous. I feel there are a lot of bitter middle aged people about who just use the Travellers as a focus for their venom and spite.
Im not bitter, and certainly not middle aged!

Like i said in my first comment, which was deleted. The travellers all get tarnished with the same brush thanks to some of them flouting laws on a regular basis. As i also mentioned, the issues i have witnessed were not in Startforth.

Whilst i agree that some are welcome in the community, there are also plenty who are not, unfortunatly a majority of the unwelcome are the younger generation of traveller, which does not bode well for the future.

I walk my dog around the back of the vets towards the golf club every day, except for this week, as i feel intimidated by the presence of the travellers. I shouldnt feel this way in my own town.

Clearly we will have to agree to disagree here :)

I dont have a problem with " travellers "

I have a problem with trouble makers who think they are above the law.
[quote][p][bold]OldBiddyFrom Barney[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studio[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OldBiddyFrom Barney[/bold] wrote: I didn't agree with 2 of the comments made and in my comment explained why. I do however feel the other commentators have as much right to free speech and to voice their opinions as me because this board should be about everyone having their views heard. It is completely pointless the Northern Echo pretending to be neutral on this matter if you shut down debate. I don't think debate is dangerous I think the way the Travellers are being marginalised and victimised is. Startforth has not been invaded the Travellers are there in large numbers because the agreed sites have become waterlogged. There is a simple explanation no need to panic and carry on like people are. They will be gone within days and you can all get back to moaning about .......[/p][/quote]Agreed ( with most of your points! ) Oldbiddy. If you did get to read my comment before it was removed you will see that the points i made were not in Startforth. I understand the point you make about the waterlogged area. But the town and local authourities make an effort to welcome these travellers each year, providing toilets and bins, yet a majoirty of them treat the area with a huge amount of disregard. I do however think Davids comment was ridiculous. How anybody thinks violence could help this situation is beyond me![/p][/quote]studio The majority are in fact very very welcome in Barney they are big spenders and the pubs and cafes are full when they are here. The 'problems' are because the traditional halting places have been built on or fenced off causing friction when Travellers stop somewhere they have never stopped before. The anger and dismay caused by people parking up for a few days is ridiculous. I feel there are a lot of bitter middle aged people about who just use the Travellers as a focus for their venom and spite.[/p][/quote]Im not bitter, and certainly not middle aged! Like i said in my first comment, which was deleted. The travellers all get tarnished with the same brush thanks to some of them flouting laws on a regular basis. As i also mentioned, the issues i have witnessed were not in Startforth. Whilst i agree that some are welcome in the community, there are also plenty who are not, unfortunatly a majority of the unwelcome are the younger generation of traveller, which does not bode well for the future. I walk my dog around the back of the vets towards the golf club every day, except for this week, as i feel intimidated by the presence of the travellers. I shouldnt feel this way in my own town. Clearly we will have to agree to disagree here :) I dont have a problem with " travellers " I have a problem with trouble makers who think they are above the law. studio
  • Score: 32

11:52am Fri 30 May 14

David Lacey says...

When I placed my comment advocating violence it was done with tongue in cheek. And it got what it deserved. But I did it to gauge the inevitable reaction which is to shut down one side of the argument. We all know that "violence" in the form of anti-social behaviour will be part and parcel of the passage of these people through the region. Within a couple of days the councils will be out cleaning up the mess and victimised householders counting the cost of damage and lost property. It happens every year. Why should this year be any different?
When I placed my comment advocating violence it was done with tongue in cheek. And it got what it deserved. But I did it to gauge the inevitable reaction which is to shut down one side of the argument. We all know that "violence" in the form of anti-social behaviour will be part and parcel of the passage of these people through the region. Within a couple of days the councils will be out cleaning up the mess and victimised householders counting the cost of damage and lost property. It happens every year. Why should this year be any different? David Lacey
  • Score: 17

11:52am Fri 30 May 14

nigel d says...

OldBiddyFrom Barney wrote:
studio wrote:
OldBiddyFrom Barney wrote:
I didn't agree with 2 of the comments made and in my comment explained why. I do however feel the other commentators have as much right to free speech and to voice their opinions as me because this board should be about everyone having their views heard. It is completely pointless the Northern Echo pretending to be neutral on this matter if you shut down debate. I don't think debate is dangerous I think the way the Travellers are being marginalised and victimised is. Startforth has not been invaded the Travellers are there in large numbers because the agreed sites have become waterlogged. There is a simple explanation no need to panic and carry on like people are. They will be gone within days and you can all get back to moaning about .......
Agreed ( with most of your points! ) Oldbiddy. If you did get to read my comment before it was removed you will see that the points i made were not in Startforth.

I understand the point you make about the waterlogged area. But the town and local authourities make an effort to welcome these travellers each year, providing toilets and bins, yet a majoirty of them treat the area with a huge amount of disregard.

I do however think Davids comment was ridiculous. How anybody thinks violence could help this situation is beyond me!
studio

The majority are in fact very very welcome in Barney they are big spenders and the pubs and cafes are full when they are here. The 'problems' are because the traditional halting places have been built on or fenced off causing friction when Travellers stop somewhere they have never stopped before. The anger and dismay caused by people parking up for a few days is ridiculous.

I feel there are a lot of bitter middle aged people about who just use the Travellers as a focus for their venom and spite.
few days? They're been at hummerbeck since the beginning of April. And lthey'll be back after Appleby for a few more weeks if last year is anything to go bye.
[quote][p][bold]OldBiddyFrom Barney[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studio[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OldBiddyFrom Barney[/bold] wrote: I didn't agree with 2 of the comments made and in my comment explained why. I do however feel the other commentators have as much right to free speech and to voice their opinions as me because this board should be about everyone having their views heard. It is completely pointless the Northern Echo pretending to be neutral on this matter if you shut down debate. I don't think debate is dangerous I think the way the Travellers are being marginalised and victimised is. Startforth has not been invaded the Travellers are there in large numbers because the agreed sites have become waterlogged. There is a simple explanation no need to panic and carry on like people are. They will be gone within days and you can all get back to moaning about .......[/p][/quote]Agreed ( with most of your points! ) Oldbiddy. If you did get to read my comment before it was removed you will see that the points i made were not in Startforth. I understand the point you make about the waterlogged area. But the town and local authourities make an effort to welcome these travellers each year, providing toilets and bins, yet a majoirty of them treat the area with a huge amount of disregard. I do however think Davids comment was ridiculous. How anybody thinks violence could help this situation is beyond me![/p][/quote]studio The majority are in fact very very welcome in Barney they are big spenders and the pubs and cafes are full when they are here. The 'problems' are because the traditional halting places have been built on or fenced off causing friction when Travellers stop somewhere they have never stopped before. The anger and dismay caused by people parking up for a few days is ridiculous. I feel there are a lot of bitter middle aged people about who just use the Travellers as a focus for their venom and spite.[/p][/quote]few days? They're been at hummerbeck since the beginning of April. And lthey'll be back after Appleby for a few more weeks if last year is anything to go bye. nigel d
  • Score: 16

12:06pm Fri 30 May 14

Site Editor says...

studio wrote:
NORTHERN ECHO - Why have previous comments been deleted?????

There was no swearing or threats?

I thought these comment sections were for people to air there views.

Myself, Old Biddy and David Lacey have all had comments removed. PATHETIC!
studio,

Your statement "there was no swearing or threats" is inaccurate.

The comment that was removed was inciting violence against the traveller community.

The other two comments you mentioned, quoted the first so had to be removed also.
[quote][p][bold]studio[/bold] wrote: NORTHERN ECHO - Why have previous comments been deleted????? There was no swearing or threats? I thought these comment sections were for people to air there views. Myself, Old Biddy and David Lacey have all had comments removed. PATHETIC![/p][/quote]studio, Your statement "there was no swearing or threats" is inaccurate. The comment that was removed was inciting violence against the traveller community. The other two comments you mentioned, quoted the first so had to be removed also. Site Editor
  • Score: 1

12:19pm Fri 30 May 14

studio says...

Site Editor wrote:
studio wrote: NORTHERN ECHO - Why have previous comments been deleted????? There was no swearing or threats? I thought these comment sections were for people to air there views. Myself, Old Biddy and David Lacey have all had comments removed. PATHETIC!
studio, Your statement "there was no swearing or threats" is inaccurate. The comment that was removed was inciting violence against the traveller community. The other two comments you mentioned, quoted the first so had to be removed also.
Site Editor,

Fair point. Although i did make a point disagreeing with violence been the answer, as you correctly put, i quoted this comment. My mistake.

I Appreciate your response.
[quote][p][bold]Site Editor[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]studio[/bold] wrote: NORTHERN ECHO - Why have previous comments been deleted????? There was no swearing or threats? I thought these comment sections were for people to air there views. Myself, Old Biddy and David Lacey have all had comments removed. PATHETIC![/p][/quote]studio, Your statement "there was no swearing or threats" is inaccurate. The comment that was removed was inciting violence against the traveller community. The other two comments you mentioned, quoted the first so had to be removed also.[/p][/quote]Site Editor, Fair point. Although i did make a point disagreeing with violence been the answer, as you correctly put, i quoted this comment. My mistake. I Appreciate your response. studio
  • Score: 6

12:36pm Fri 30 May 14

OldBiddyFrom Barney says...

I can understand why you removed David Lacey's comment but feel it would of been far better to leave it up as it showed the person up for what he is a mischief maker.
I can understand why you removed David Lacey's comment but feel it would of been far better to leave it up as it showed the person up for what he is a mischief maker. OldBiddyFrom Barney
  • Score: 4

2:27pm Fri 30 May 14

David Lacey says...

No old biddy. The correct English is "would have" - not "would of". Back to school for you.
No old biddy. The correct English is "would have" - not "would of". Back to school for you. David Lacey
  • Score: 0

3:43pm Fri 30 May 14

OldBiddyFrom Barney says...

David you really have a lot of growing up to do.
David you really have a lot of growing up to do. OldBiddyFrom Barney
  • Score: 3

4:16pm Fri 30 May 14

David Lacey says...

Another person who dishes it out but can't take it.
Another person who dishes it out but can't take it. David Lacey
  • Score: -15

6:22pm Fri 30 May 14

Jonn says...

Meanwhile,

http://www.thenorthe
rnecho.co.uk/news/11
247847.Police_crackd
own_on_problem_road/


About time too!
Meanwhile, http://www.thenorthe rnecho.co.uk/news/11 247847.Police_crackd own_on_problem_road/ About time too! Jonn
  • Score: 5

7:08pm Fri 30 May 14

DarloXman says...

Jonn wrote:
Meanwhile,

http://www.thenorthe

rnecho.co.uk/news/11

247847.Police_crackd

own_on_problem_road/



About time too!
Well said. Good to see a start, suggest further similar action is still necessary. Same for Geneva Road.
[quote][p][bold]Jonn[/bold] wrote: Meanwhile, http://www.thenorthe rnecho.co.uk/news/11 247847.Police_crackd own_on_problem_road/ About time too![/p][/quote]Well said. Good to see a start, suggest further similar action is still necessary. Same for Geneva Road. DarloXman
  • Score: 10

7:39pm Fri 30 May 14

LUSTARD says...

has any one else had trouble tonight tying a holy grail nymph, whilst watching lettice rowbotham play the violin
has any one else had trouble tonight tying a holy grail nymph, whilst watching lettice rowbotham play the violin LUSTARD
  • Score: 1

7:43pm Fri 30 May 14

tomtopper says...

I think the Northern Echo are quite well balanced actually with sensible moderation.. Unlike a lot of the other sensationalist, biased newspapers, they allow posting before moderation and when it comes to fairness, there's no comparison...

Imagine what these threads would descend into were there zero moderation.. I personally think the Northern echo make a genuine effort to be fair.. Keep up the good work.. (and that comes from an old fashioned Thatcher -admiring Conservative!)
I think the Northern Echo are quite well balanced actually with sensible moderation.. Unlike a lot of the other sensationalist, biased newspapers, they allow posting before moderation and when it comes to fairness, there's no comparison... Imagine what these threads would descend into were there zero moderation.. I personally think the Northern echo make a genuine effort to be fair.. Keep up the good work.. (and that comes from an old fashioned Thatcher -admiring Conservative!) tomtopper
  • Score: 1

7:58pm Fri 30 May 14

Fakeycakemaker2 says...

On the plus side, at least the number of crimes in Darlington will drop for a few weeks.
On the plus side, at least the number of crimes in Darlington will drop for a few weeks. Fakeycakemaker2
  • Score: 14

11:38pm Fri 30 May 14

Rover13 says...

What a peace we have, hardly any scum in Darlington , listen Darlington council ?
What a peace we have, hardly any scum in Darlington , listen Darlington council ? Rover13
  • Score: 3

5:41pm Sat 31 May 14

theWorkerScum says...

Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty of money in hand, they leave villages in a mess and steal from the pubs they used. What is amazing is that they dont pay any tax yet have loads of money. Most of them are cowardly thugs who are all mouth in their groups. Before u go on one, this is all fact from experience.
Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty of money in hand, they leave villages in a mess and steal from the pubs they used. What is amazing is that they dont pay any tax yet have loads of money. Most of them are cowardly thugs who are all mouth in their groups. Before u go on one, this is all fact from experience. theWorkerScum
  • Score: 10

6:12pm Sat 31 May 14

OldBiddyFrom Barney says...

theWorkerScum wrote:
Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty ofOf course it effects me I have been very upset and absolutely sickened by some of the things I have heard and seen over Startforth today. Even IF everything you say is true regarding not paying tax ect ect is that any excuse for the vile racism and hatred towards another set of people There is only one human race and we are ALL part of it.

My view is this regarding evil Don't be a victim. Don't be a perpatrator and don't be a bystander, do you really want a world that 'selects' people for not being the same as you and 'sends them East ?

The moral high ground is a dangerous place to stand on but so is the slippery slope.
[quote][p][bold]theWorkerScum[/bold] wrote: Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty ofOf course it effects me I have been very upset and absolutely sickened by some of the things I have heard and seen over Startforth today. Even IF everything you say is true regarding not paying tax ect ect is that any excuse for the vile racism and hatred towards another set of people There is only one human race and we are ALL part of it. My view is this regarding evil Don't be a victim. Don't be a perpatrator and don't be a bystander, do you really want a world that 'selects' people for not being the same as you and 'sends them East ? The moral high ground is a dangerous place to stand on but so is the slippery slope. OldBiddyFrom Barney
  • Score: 5

7:11pm Sat 31 May 14

OldBiddyFrom Barney says...

I suggest anyone who thinks I am exaggerating reads the Teesdale Mecury Face Book Page.

There are some people on there who are well known alcholics and druggies so you can't expect reasoned argument from them but I am very very disappointed with Tom and Thom.
I suggest anyone who thinks I am exaggerating reads the Teesdale Mecury Face Book Page. There are some people on there who are well known alcholics and druggies so you can't expect reasoned argument from them but I am very very disappointed with Tom and Thom. OldBiddyFrom Barney
  • Score: 1

9:29am Sun 1 Jun 14

thetruthyoucanthandlethetruth says...

On a slightly different note, I'm glad to read that the police have had a 'crackdown' on dodgy driving/drivers using Yarm Road in Darlington. Unfortunately though, comments aren't allowed on that particular article.
The area is well known for travelers driving like idiots....and we wouldn't want people jumping to conclusions about who's been stopped and who's vehicles have been seized would we now!

It's not before time is all I can say.
On a slightly different note, I'm glad to read that the police have had a 'crackdown' on dodgy driving/drivers using Yarm Road in Darlington. Unfortunately though, comments aren't allowed on that particular article. The area is well known for travelers driving like idiots....and we wouldn't want people jumping to conclusions about who's been stopped and who's vehicles have been seized would we now! It's not before time is all I can say. thetruthyoucanthandlethetruth
  • Score: 5

8:02am Mon 2 Jun 14

Yemen says...

OldBiddyFrom Barney wrote:
theWorkerScum wrote:
Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty ofOf course it effects me I have been very upset and absolutely sickened by some of the things I have heard and seen over Startforth today. Even IF everything you say is true regarding not paying tax ect ect is that any excuse for the vile racism and hatred towards another set of people There is only one human race and we are ALL part of it.

My view is this regarding evil Don't be a victim. Don't be a perpatrator and don't be a bystander, do you really want a world that 'selects' people for not being the same as you and 'sends them East ?

The moral high ground is a dangerous place to stand on but so is the slippery slope.its not racism its bigotry...

'travellers' are not a race, the Roma are but thats an entirely different conversation one which i'm sure the Kippers would be pleased to tell you about.
[quote][p][bold]OldBiddyFrom Barney[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]theWorkerScum[/bold] wrote: Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty ofOf course it effects me I have been very upset and absolutely sickened by some of the things I have heard and seen over Startforth today. Even IF everything you say is true regarding not paying tax ect ect is that any excuse for the vile racism and hatred towards another set of people There is only one human race and we are ALL part of it. My view is this regarding evil Don't be a victim. Don't be a perpatrator and don't be a bystander, do you really want a world that 'selects' people for not being the same as you and 'sends them East ? The moral high ground is a dangerous place to stand on but so is the slippery slope.[/p][/quote]its not racism its bigotry... 'travellers' are not a race, the Roma are but thats an entirely different conversation one which i'm sure the Kippers would be pleased to tell you about. Yemen
  • Score: 1

4:10pm Mon 2 Jun 14

thetruthyoucanthandlethetruth says...

Yemen wrote:
OldBiddyFrom Barney wrote:
theWorkerScum wrote:
Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty ofOf course it effects me I have been very upset and absolutely sickened by some of the things I have heard and seen over Startforth today. Even IF everything you say is true regarding not paying tax ect ect is that any excuse for the vile racism and hatred towards another set of people There is only one human race and we are ALL part of it.

My view is this regarding evil Don't be a victim. Don't be a perpatrator and don't be a bystander, do you really want a world that 'selects' people for not being the same as you and 'sends them East ?

The moral high ground is a dangerous place to stand on but so is the slippery slope.its not racism its bigotry...

'travellers' are not a race, the Roma are but thats an entirely different conversation one which i'm sure the Kippers would be pleased to tell you about.It's not racism or bigotry in any case. It's opinion and comment, that's all.
[quote][p][bold]Yemen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OldBiddyFrom Barney[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]theWorkerScum[/bold] wrote: Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty ofOf course it effects me I have been very upset and absolutely sickened by some of the things I have heard and seen over Startforth today. Even IF everything you say is true regarding not paying tax ect ect is that any excuse for the vile racism and hatred towards another set of people There is only one human race and we are ALL part of it. My view is this regarding evil Don't be a victim. Don't be a perpatrator and don't be a bystander, do you really want a world that 'selects' people for not being the same as you and 'sends them East ? The moral high ground is a dangerous place to stand on but so is the slippery slope.[/p][/quote]its not racism its bigotry... 'travellers' are not a race, the Roma are but thats an entirely different conversation one which i'm sure the Kippers would be pleased to tell you about.[/p][/quote]It's not racism or bigotry in any case. It's opinion and comment, that's all. thetruthyoucanthandlethetruth
  • Score: 3

6:10pm Mon 2 Jun 14

Magic Steve says...

These people are Scum and Night Time Hawkers who have no respect for decent people and it is very sad that our police Force seem frightened by them.
These people are Scum and Night Time Hawkers who have no respect for decent people and it is very sad that our police Force seem frightened by them. Magic Steve
  • Score: 9

7:52am Tue 3 Jun 14

Yemen says...

thetruthyoucanthandl
ethetruth
wrote:
Yemen wrote:
OldBiddyFrom Barney wrote:
theWorkerScum wrote:
Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty ofOf course it effects me I have been very upset and absolutely sickened by some of the things I have heard and seen over Startforth today. Even IF everything you say is true regarding not paying tax ect ect is that any excuse for the vile racism and hatred towards another set of people There is only one human race and we are ALL part of it.

My view is this regarding evil Don't be a victim. Don't be a perpatrator and don't be a bystander, do you really want a world that 'selects' people for not being the same as you and 'sends them East ?

The moral high ground is a dangerous place to stand on but so is the slippery slope.its not racism its bigotry...

'travellers' are not a race, the Roma are but thats an entirely different conversation one which i'm sure the Kippers would be pleased to tell you about.It's not racism or bigotry in any case. It's opinion and comment, that's all.I only mean to point out your incorrect use of 'racism' when it should read.

"is that any excuse for the vile 'BIGOTRY' and hatred towards another set of people"
[quote][p][bold]thetruthyoucanthandl ethetruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Yemen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OldBiddyFrom Barney[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]theWorkerScum[/bold] wrote: Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty ofOf course it effects me I have been very upset and absolutely sickened by some of the things I have heard and seen over Startforth today. Even IF everything you say is true regarding not paying tax ect ect is that any excuse for the vile racism and hatred towards another set of people There is only one human race and we are ALL part of it. My view is this regarding evil Don't be a victim. Don't be a perpatrator and don't be a bystander, do you really want a world that 'selects' people for not being the same as you and 'sends them East ? The moral high ground is a dangerous place to stand on but so is the slippery slope.[/p][/quote]its not racism its bigotry... 'travellers' are not a race, the Roma are but thats an entirely different conversation one which i'm sure the Kippers would be pleased to tell you about.[/p][/quote]It's not racism or bigotry in any case. It's opinion and comment, that's all.[/p][/quote]I only mean to point out your incorrect use of 'racism' when it should read. "is that any excuse for the vile 'BIGOTRY' and hatred towards another set of people" Yemen
  • Score: -5

9:25am Tue 3 Jun 14

thetruthyoucanthandlethetruth says...

Yemen wrote:
thetruthyoucanthandl

ethetruth
wrote:
Yemen wrote:
OldBiddyFrom Barney wrote:
theWorkerScum wrote:
Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty ofOf course it effects me I have been very upset and absolutely sickened by some of the things I have heard and seen over Startforth today. Even IF everything you say is true regarding not paying tax ect ect is that any excuse for the vile racism and hatred towards another set of people There is only one human race and we are ALL part of it.

My view is this regarding evil Don't be a victim. Don't be a perpatrator and don't be a bystander, do you really want a world that 'selects' people for not being the same as you and 'sends them East ?

The moral high ground is a dangerous place to stand on but so is the slippery slope.its not racism its bigotry...

'travellers' are not a race, the Roma are but thats an entirely different conversation one which i'm sure the Kippers would be pleased to tell you about.It's not racism or bigotry in any case. It's opinion and comment, that's all.I only mean to point out your incorrect use of 'racism' when it should read.

"is that any excuse for the vile 'BIGOTRY' and hatred towards another set of people"Yup
[quote][p][bold]Yemen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thetruthyoucanthandl ethetruth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Yemen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OldBiddyFrom Barney[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]theWorkerScum[/bold] wrote: Oldbiddyfrombarney. Its easy to take the moral high ground when it doesn't affect you. My experience of them is they have plenty ofOf course it effects me I have been very upset and absolutely sickened by some of the things I have heard and seen over Startforth today. Even IF everything you say is true regarding not paying tax ect ect is that any excuse for the vile racism and hatred towards another set of people There is only one human race and we are ALL part of it. My view is this regarding evil Don't be a victim. Don't be a perpatrator and don't be a bystander, do you really want a world that 'selects' people for not being the same as you and 'sends them East ? The moral high ground is a dangerous place to stand on but so is the slippery slope.[/p][/quote]its not racism its bigotry... 'travellers' are not a race, the Roma are but thats an entirely different conversation one which i'm sure the Kippers would be pleased to tell you about.[/p][/quote]It's not racism or bigotry in any case. It's opinion and comment, that's all.[/p][/quote]I only mean to point out your incorrect use of 'racism' when it should read. "is that any excuse for the vile 'BIGOTRY' and hatred towards another set of people"[/p][/quote]Yup thetruthyoucanthandlethetruth
  • Score: 2

5:14pm Wed 4 Jun 14

rat man says...

Several travellers caravans have been parked for at least two months now, in a lay-by near a roundabout just outside West Auckland. Why have Durham County Council taken no action to have them removed, bearing in mind their obsession with illegal parking in Bishop Town Centre.
Several travellers caravans have been parked for at least two months now, in a lay-by near a roundabout just outside West Auckland. Why have Durham County Council taken no action to have them removed, bearing in mind their obsession with illegal parking in Bishop Town Centre. rat man
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree