Man suffers severe electrical burns after drilling through cable

The Northern Echo: Burns victim airlifted to hospital Burns victim airlifted to hospital

A MAN was airlifted hospital this morning after drilling through a 450-volt electricity cable.

The incident occurred in a flat above an Asian restaurant at West Grove in the Westlea area of Seaham, County Durham, at around 9.50am.

The man, in his late 30's, suffered severe electrical burns and was taken to the Royal Victory Infirmary in Newcastle by the Great North Air Ambulance.

Firefighters from Seaham also attended the incident and made sure the area was safe.

A woman had to be freed from the wreckage of her car following a collision in County Durham this afternoon.

The accident occurred at around 12.15pm on the B1198, Shincliffe Lane, at Shincliffe, near Durham City, and involved two cars, a Volvo C30 and a Mini.

The woman, in her late twenties, was freed from the Volvo by firefighters, before being transported to the University Hospital of North Durham by ambulance.

Shincliffe Lane was closed for around 45 minutes.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:27pm Sat 17 May 14

pensioner2 says...

what was he doing drilling into a cable? trying to steal power perhaps?
what was he doing drilling into a cable? trying to steal power perhaps? pensioner2
  • Score: -17

7:41pm Sat 17 May 14

Robert_ says...

I minimise the risk of electrical burns by not drilling through live cables. Electrician school lesson 1.
I minimise the risk of electrical burns by not drilling through live cables. Electrician school lesson 1. Robert_
  • Score: -2

9:24pm Sat 17 May 14

DL5opinion says...

A simple diy mistake, perhaps!
Why jump to conclusions?
A simple diy mistake, perhaps! Why jump to conclusions? DL5opinion
  • Score: 14

9:14am Sun 18 May 14

oliviaden6 says...

What ever the reason he should have used a cable or metal detector to identify if there was anything at the location. I just hope he lives electrical burns are savage.
What ever the reason he should have used a cable or metal detector to identify if there was anything at the location. I just hope he lives electrical burns are savage. oliviaden6
  • Score: 5

10:46am Sun 18 May 14

Triglet says...

Or get a qualified electrician . no excuses .
Or get a qualified electrician . no excuses . Triglet
  • Score: 1

12:02pm Sun 18 May 14

asiot66 says...

450 volts seems an odd voltage for a domestic dwelling, its usually 240v to earth or even between phases on a 3 phase supply is only 415v, so don't know where theyre getting that from
450 volts seems an odd voltage for a domestic dwelling, its usually 240v to earth or even between phases on a 3 phase supply is only 415v, so don't know where theyre getting that from asiot66
  • Score: 7

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree