A VILLAGE railway station which closed to passengers in 1954 has reopened - having been returned to the way it looked 60 years ago.
Scruton Station, on the Wensleydale Railway line, closed to the public on April 26, 1954 and was left to the ravages of time, quickly being taken over by brambles and undergrowth.
But following a £180,000 restoration, the station was reopened on Saturday, April 26, after being returned to its former glory.
Loading article content
The traditional materials used in the Victorian building had to be replicated and the colours of the paintwork used on the exterior of the building were researched by project manager David Walker, from the Wensleydale Railway Trust. He then had to find a paint manufacturer who could replicate the colour.
The project was funded by grants and donations and both the trust and volunteers from the village now hope the station will become a tourist attraction in its own right.