For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Two arrested over Thirsk dad's nut allergy death
POLICE investigating the death of a man who suffered an allergic reaction to nuts have arrested two men.
Detectives launched their inquiry after bar manager Paul Wilson, of Helperby, near Thirsk, died at the end of January following a takeaway meal.
And the North Yorkshire force has now confirmed that two men - aged 38 and 51 - were arrested on April 8 in connection with the incident.
Both have since been released on bail as inquiries continue.
The police team are currently working with trading standards officers to establish the exact circumstances surrounding Mr Wilson’s death.
The 38-year-old, who had a young son, was found after suffering a suspected anaphylactic shock triggered by something he ate.
He had enjoyed an evening out with a friend before returning home with a takeaway meal he had begun to eat.
It is thought he tried to reach his adrenaline auto-injector, which relaxes lung muscles, stimulates the heartbeat and helps to stop swelling around the face, when he collapsed in his bathroom.
There are about ten deaths from recognised food allergies every year.
In a completely separate case Derek Stephenson, a 31-year-old gardener from Stanhope, County Durham, died last September following a severe allergic reaction to nuts in a takeaway.
Mr Wilson’s death came ahead of the Government introducing new food information regulations later this year.
They stipulate that eating establishments must provide detailed information about any allergens contained in their food.
Under current legislation, eating establishments only need to provide information about allergens if they are asked to by a customer.
It is believed the police inquiry is looking at the possible adulteration of expensive ground almond powder with cheaper ground peanuts.
While some people suffer an allergic reaction if they eat any type of nut, others can safely eat almonds grown on trees and are only affected by peanuts grown in soil.
In the wake of Mr Wilson’s death almost £500 has been donated to Allergy UK through justgiving.com/paul-Wilson-allergy-uk