A MAN had to be rescued from his flat after a fire broke out today (Sunday, March 30).

Fire crews from Easingwold and York were called to Stillington at about 8.15am on Sunday, after reports of a flat on fire on Main Street, where a person was trapped.

When fire crews arrived, they rescued a 43-year-old man from the home. He was treated by paramedics at the scene and taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

Loading article content

Firefighters then carried out an inspection of the property to ensure the fire was fully extinguished and ventilated the home. North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue say it is believed the fire was started in the kitchen, where food was being cooked.