The following cases were heard by South Durham Magistrates sitting at Darlington Magistrates’ Court. All addresses are in Darlington, unless stated:

SHOP THEFT: Phillip Edward Woodcock, 31, pleaded guilty to a charge of theft from a shop and admitted breaching four earlier conditional discharges. The court heard Woodcock, of Gurney Street, entered Wilkinson’s in Darlington town centre with the intent to steal a USB stick worth £30 because he had no money. A probation report found that Woodcock had been struggling with alcohol misuse since October, which had led to an increase in offending behaviour. Magistrates gave Woodcock a nine month supervision order with six months of alcohol treatment. He must pay court costs of £85 and a £60 victim surcharge.

NO INSURANCE: Lewis Myers, 19, of Alexandria Drive, Middleton St George, admitted driving without insurance. Myers was stopped by police driving a car belonging to his step-grandfather, which he knew he was not insured to drive. Myers, who was not represented, apologised to the court and said the disappointment and distress he had caused to his grandmother had weighed heavily on his mind. He was fined £110 by magistrates and ordered to pay costs of £85 and a £20 victim surcharge. He also had six points added to his licence.

Loading article content

DRINK DRIVING: Sandra Hall, 41, of Greensfield Close, pleaded guilty to one charge of driving while above the alcohol limit. Hall was stopped by police in the early hours of March 1 after they spotted her car driving erratically on Hollyhurst Road. Gwen Burnett, mitigating, said Hall had gone to see a friend with the intention of only drinking two glasses of wine, but her glass had been topped up without her realising. She was fined £280 and ordered to pay costs of £85 and £28 victim surcharge. She was disqualified from driving for 18 months.

COFFEE THEFT: Stephen John Webster, 38, of Hewitson Road, admitted theft from a shop. He stole one jar of coffee from Asda, in Neasham Road, by putting it in his pocket and walking out with no attempt to pay. He was given a 12 month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £4.98 compensation, costs of £85 and a £15 victim surcharge.